10.23.2011

Comic Asylum Tournament, Games 2 and 3

Here's the wrap up on the tournament the Card Pimp in question and I played in last Saturday. Seems like a lot longer than a week ago - these last five works days have been brutal.


Here's a current favorite unit; Scouts with plasma and knives and plasma and chains and plasma and combi. Plasma. What's not to love? In my opinion, plasma is the new melta; the game it is a'changing.




Game II was a rather unique little mission the TO appropriated from Lord of the Rings. I was playing a new player in his very first tournament... and while my opponent's instincts are good and I suspect he'll be a strong gamer in the future, this was a fairly easy win.


We had three quadrants in our deployment zones, which explains the rather odd setup.  Since I got lucky and the vast majority of my units were on the right flank, my plan was to blitz the deployment zone then start punching left.  Hogan's squad would hopefully soak most of the fighting allowing the Scouts and Hunters to bunch up.  Looking at my opponent's army, I had a huge advantage in mobility.  I wasn't that worried about letting his Assault Squads past the line, but I wanted to hinder him as much as possible.


His shooting kills too Brotherhood Guard and sends the Guard Terminators running for the board edge.  He'll rally, of course.  On the right flank the Lone Wolf leads the way, with Hunters and Hogan's boys following up for a strike at his center.  Two Hunters in Rhinos speed along the right flank toward his Predator.


We'll skip ahead.  This is what the Blood Angel's player had in my zone...


...while my 'Blitz the Quarterback' strategy on the right worked out fine for me.  I earned full points on this game.

Again, this player was a really nice guy, and a friend of Neil, the wily vet I played in Round I.  With his instincts and that kind of help, it won't be long before this dude starts racking up wins in his area.


Round III sees me and the Card Pimp in Question duking it out for first place on Top Table.  The CP is not too far behind me, and by this point there were only three players with a reasonable shot at first place.

In this scenario, the three objectives will scatter once on Turn 2 and explode on Turn 3; after that, they're fair game.

Neither the Card Pimp nor I really wanted to have to bust up each other's dreams of a victory, but that's the way it goes in tournament play.  I felt I had the advantage if I could neutralize his Stealers early and sort out the ever-scary Swarmlord.  Tye's route to victory was rushing me with the Stealers and hold me down long enough for the gruesome meat of his army to make gruesome meat out of me.


I was actually scared of the Biovores, which is funny considering how many people were telling the Card Pimp in Question to drop them in favor of something else!  It's not that they do that much damage to Marines, but failing a pinning check at the wrong time could spell disaster.


The Card Pimp infiltrated his Stealers, so my job was making sure he had no spot outside of line of sight of my army - I simply couldn't afford for him to set up within 12-inches.  After careful examination - by both of us - he was forced to set up exactly 18-inches away... meaning a strong run move would put him on a unit early.  There's no way around that; it was a 1 in 6 chance per unit, so a 50% chance on three.


I tried to seize and failed.  The game began with the Card Pimp in Question leaping forward..!

Okay, for some reason the last pictures I took didn't come out worth a crap.  Suffice it to say, I won the game.  The Stealers on the right fell early and the two units on the left suffered early casualties - despite one unit launching a first turn assault on a Rhino - and faced an uphill battle.

The Scouts actually had to come on from the left flank and shoot hot-plasma-death at one of the units of Stealers, who were threatening a Turn 3 munching of a 10-strong unit of Hunters... because the damn Biovores pinned them!

In the center, I hurled the Long Wolf at the Hormagaunts to take away the screen, then slowly whittled down Hive Guard and Zoanthropes with Hogan's Fangs pouring out firepower.

The Swarmlord wouldn't be stopped!  There was a turn I shot everything at that big mother, including the spare tire from a Rhino!  He bit it in half and spit it at me, then launched into Hogan's unit in an assault!  Luckily for me, the shiny armor distracted Swarmy, allowing Hogan to make minced pie out of the Tyrant Guard.

Despite it all, Swarmy continued to lay waste around him until Hogan finally put him down.

I'll admit, I played probably too passively with Hogan's unit, fearing the Swarmlord's vaunted assault ability, but considering what would have happened if my Rune Priest had failed to nullify the 'screw you, have a WS of 1' power...

...well, who knows?

I earned the top spot, and the Card Pimp in Question managed to hold on to third place.  As always, mad props to the Comic Asylum.  I can't say enough good things about this little metroplex venue - if you're in Texas, check it out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The rule book says more than 18" away not within 18". So they wouldn't have been able to charge.

(A new favorite!) Anon: I haven’t even bothered playing a game of 6th yet, cause I have read the rules, and actually understand how they interact with units. I know my armies no longer function how they should, and so I need to change them.

Strictly Average: 'cause 6-inches is all you get.

Stalking Jawaballs since 2009.

Jawaballs: "My butt just tightened up."

Brent, preferred 2-to-1 over Not Brent in a recent, scientific poll.

Brent: emptied the Kool Aid and DRINKING YOUR MILKSHAKE with an extra-long straw.

Unicorns don't exist.

Home of the Stormbuster, the Dyson Pattern Storm Raven.

I'm a comment whore and this whore is getting no play.

Not Brent hurts Brent's feelings.

I think, therefore I blog.

"You should stop writing for everyone else and worry about your crappy blog." - Anon.

Not Brent has been spotted lurking around with a green marker.

He's not like a bad guy from a cartoon, all devious but never quite evil, Not Brent is bad beans, man, bad beans.

Dethtron: "Again I feel obliged to remind you that trying to sound smart only works if you are."

MVB: "I am not one to join the unwashed masses of self-titled 40k experts out there distributing advice from their blogs about exactly how your list should be built..."

Shiner Bock on tap: that's how I choose hotels.

Strictly Average: The Home of Hugs and Gropings.

Don't feed the trolls!

MoD: "Welcome to Brent's head."

Competitive is Consistent.

Dethtron: "...you could use that extra time to figure out a way to get your panties unbunched and perform a sandectomy on your vagina."

Dethtron: “When calling someone an idiot, it's generally best to avoid making grammatical mistakes.”

Warboss Stalin: "You know, if it actually WAS funny, maybe I wouldn't mind."

Mike Brandt: "It's not a successful bachelor party if you don't misplace someone".

"The Master Manipulator (every store needs one): "...now, enough stroking."

Kirby: "I don't know about gropings. Seriously, Brent, keep it in the pants, please."

Loquacious: "No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't get Hugs & Gropings or Stalks Jawaballs into Brent's little tribute."

Captain Kellen: "I rate this article a Brent on the Faith Hill to Nancy Pelosi scale!"

Drathmere: "Come for the balls, stay for the Brent? Kind of disturbing, man."

Go no further, lest thee see something thine eyes would fain look past!

Isabelle: "So, thank you for supporting your local and not so local unicorns. A noble gesture like that can show some scared kids out there that they don't have to hide from everyone and it's ok to be who they really are."

There is nothing more interesting than We The People... in all our beautiful, ugly glory!

On Internet Advice: You see, I have an almost religious belief that's it's a huge, colossal waste of time.

...I think I'll call it the Gun Shy Pattern Stormbuster, because after the Internet destroyed my first humble effort, I find I'm a bit worried about the reaction to this one.

Lauby: "Is it left over from that time you thought that you could just complete step one 12 times to meet the mandates of that court order?"

Not Brent: "I guess we'll have to read on and find out. Signed, Not Brent. Especially today."

Cynthia Davis: "I think the scrolling text is from Glen Beck's new book."

Grimaldi: "Spamming certain units creates interesting possibilities but also fatal weaknesses."

Purgatus: "Math can inform decisions. It cannot make decisions."

Thoughts? Comments? Hugs and gropings?

You'd be that much quicker to figure out what I mean when I refer to a Unicorn if I covered it in a rainbow flag.

SinSynn: (To Brent) "Curse you and your insidious influence on the internets..."

Dave G (N++): "You know you're an internet celebrity when your following is more akin to tabloids."

I prefer the term Internet Personality (or IP) myself, seeing as how I coined it.

Lauby: "Your attempt to humanize him as failed. I feel nothing but scorn for his beard - it's like a warcrime or something."

BBF: "I've always thought you are a good player but I finally figured out that you are a great player. It's hard to see sometimes because your personality is engaging, sincere and quite charming - to me that is kind of a rare combination."

'Clearly cheating?' I didn't misspeak: you jumped to conclusions. If you'd like to apologize I'll be happy to send you an autographed picture of my ass.

Ass.

I thought I was doing alright before I realized I was losing.

Age and treachery beats youth and vigor every time.

Popular Posts