12.14.2010

Tips And Tricks: Extra Material

I wrote an article on Bell of Lost Souls today, collecting the Top Tips I've written in 2010... for a followup, here's a few more tips and tricks.

Pictures, Blogger, and Memory

I've been held up this past week by lack of storage space, since I've used up the gig Blogger gives you free of charge.  A gig is a bunch of pics but Strictly Average has always been a media-heavy blog.

There's a tip for you budding Bloggers out there: give your audience something to look at!  As time has gone on, I've moved from free-hand Cybershot pictures to using a light studio setup.


I've struggled over what to do.  After all, if I delete pictures from the Picasso web albums, where all Blogger pictures are stored, it affects old posts.  If I'm being honest, nobody looks over those old posts - meaning it isn't an immediate problem.  Still, I intend to archive the better stuff at some point in the future  and I don't want to make it harder on myself when the time comes.



Rob wrote a great post on the subject over on Warhammer 39999.  Ultimately, I ended up spending the 5 bucks to get 20 more gigs.  Blogging is a big part of my hobby these days, so it's worth it.

Store Your Toys!

Little Barerra, a buddy of mine in the local area, has a habit which drives me freakin' bonkers - he's absolutely gifted, a true artist.  He just doesn't take care of his toys.

He's got the GW cases, but he'll recycle them when he's working on a new army, throwing all the minis he's painted in a box.  Inevitably they get banged up, so he'll strip them and repaint them.  Lather, rinse repeat.


Bottom line is properly store your stuff.  You guys will spend hundreds on models but begrudge fifty on a case - admit it!  Get the case.

Shiner Bock is the Best Beer

Frequent events where adult beverages are sold.  Everybody will be happier for it.


Yea, two beers are better than one!  (It was for my Indentured Servant.)

Do I have to say it?  Don't drink and drive.  Don't over drink.  I work in mental health; trust me, you don't want to be that person.

Some Models Are Cooler Than Others





(He told me not to write about him or he'd gut me...)

Dice Cups Aren't Created Equal

An Empty Digital Headache makes for a pretty awesome gaming aid.


Stalking Jawaballs Makes for Good Inspiration

This article is getting stranger and stranger.  I probably shouldn't write posts after midnight.


I think we've done enough damage here.  I'm off to bed now...

7 comments:

CalPerr said...

Dude that Brook Samson mini is Frekin awesome. I haven't seen those pics before. Love that show.

Anonymous said...

Did you write the article about daboyz game 3? I think I missed it.

Brent said...

jdw: Nope - not yet.

I was held up because I couldn't upload the pictures; it was extremely frustrating.

It's scheduled for next Tuesday on Bell though.

tzeentchling said...

Agreed about Shiner Bock! Wish they had it more places out of Texas.

Anonymous said...

Awesome.

Can you post any details about your light studio setup?

Brent said...

http://strictlyaverage.blogspot.com/2010/07/digital-concepts-light-studio-must-have.html

jdw: There you go!

Warhammer39999 said...

What on earth is that mullet-coated thing doing on your blog? Is there a shameful post lurking somewhere in your archives that I need to read?

Thanks for the link, and for the record, I think you made the right decision. 20GB for $5 is a steal. Go Google!

(A new favorite!) Anon: I haven’t even bothered playing a game of 6th yet, cause I have read the rules, and actually understand how they interact with units. I know my armies no longer function how they should, and so I need to change them.

Strictly Average: 'cause 6-inches is all you get.

Stalking Jawaballs since 2009.

Jawaballs: "My butt just tightened up."

Brent, preferred 2-to-1 over Not Brent in a recent, scientific poll.

Brent: emptied the Kool Aid and DRINKING YOUR MILKSHAKE with an extra-long straw.

Unicorns don't exist.

Home of the Stormbuster, the Dyson Pattern Storm Raven.

I'm a comment whore and this whore is getting no play.

Not Brent hurts Brent's feelings.

I think, therefore I blog.

"You should stop writing for everyone else and worry about your crappy blog." - Anon.

Not Brent has been spotted lurking around with a green marker.

He's not like a bad guy from a cartoon, all devious but never quite evil, Not Brent is bad beans, man, bad beans.

Dethtron: "Again I feel obliged to remind you that trying to sound smart only works if you are."

MVB: "I am not one to join the unwashed masses of self-titled 40k experts out there distributing advice from their blogs about exactly how your list should be built..."

Shiner Bock on tap: that's how I choose hotels.

Strictly Average: The Home of Hugs and Gropings.

Don't feed the trolls!

MoD: "Welcome to Brent's head."

Competitive is Consistent.

Dethtron: "...you could use that extra time to figure out a way to get your panties unbunched and perform a sandectomy on your vagina."

Dethtron: “When calling someone an idiot, it's generally best to avoid making grammatical mistakes.”

Warboss Stalin: "You know, if it actually WAS funny, maybe I wouldn't mind."

Mike Brandt: "It's not a successful bachelor party if you don't misplace someone".

"The Master Manipulator (every store needs one): "...now, enough stroking."

Kirby: "I don't know about gropings. Seriously, Brent, keep it in the pants, please."

Loquacious: "No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't get Hugs & Gropings or Stalks Jawaballs into Brent's little tribute."

Captain Kellen: "I rate this article a Brent on the Faith Hill to Nancy Pelosi scale!"

Drathmere: "Come for the balls, stay for the Brent? Kind of disturbing, man."

Go no further, lest thee see something thine eyes would fain look past!

Isabelle: "So, thank you for supporting your local and not so local unicorns. A noble gesture like that can show some scared kids out there that they don't have to hide from everyone and it's ok to be who they really are."

There is nothing more interesting than We The People... in all our beautiful, ugly glory!

On Internet Advice: You see, I have an almost religious belief that's it's a huge, colossal waste of time.

...I think I'll call it the Gun Shy Pattern Stormbuster, because after the Internet destroyed my first humble effort, I find I'm a bit worried about the reaction to this one.

Lauby: "Is it left over from that time you thought that you could just complete step one 12 times to meet the mandates of that court order?"

Not Brent: "I guess we'll have to read on and find out. Signed, Not Brent. Especially today."

Cynthia Davis: "I think the scrolling text is from Glen Beck's new book."

Grimaldi: "Spamming certain units creates interesting possibilities but also fatal weaknesses."

Purgatus: "Math can inform decisions. It cannot make decisions."

Thoughts? Comments? Hugs and gropings?

You'd be that much quicker to figure out what I mean when I refer to a Unicorn if I covered it in a rainbow flag.

SinSynn: (To Brent) "Curse you and your insidious influence on the internets..."

Dave G (N++): "You know you're an internet celebrity when your following is more akin to tabloids."

I prefer the term Internet Personality (or IP) myself, seeing as how I coined it.

Lauby: "Your attempt to humanize him as failed. I feel nothing but scorn for his beard - it's like a warcrime or something."

BBF: "I've always thought you are a good player but I finally figured out that you are a great player. It's hard to see sometimes because your personality is engaging, sincere and quite charming - to me that is kind of a rare combination."

'Clearly cheating?' I didn't misspeak: you jumped to conclusions. If you'd like to apologize I'll be happy to send you an autographed picture of my ass.

Ass.

I thought I was doing alright before I realized I was losing.

Age and treachery beats youth and vigor every time.

Popular Posts