10.09.2009

A 20 Minute Miniature (And Daemons Too!)

I've been talking quite a bit about tournament culture and some recent events, but I haven't touched too much on painting. This has been deliberate; I've been rather burned out lately and just haven't had the urge to paint. I've also been so busy with school and my internship at the local state hospital that I haven't had much free time. Even as I write this, I'm sitting in class typing away on my laptop. That's actually how I've done a number of my posts recently...

Viva la technologie!

Another reason: there are so many great painters posting so much great content that the last thing the web needs is me clogging it up with my slightly-better-than-average-but-who-knows painting style. To that end I've been posting on topics I feel are interesting but aren't done as much; I hope I've been successful.

That doesn't mean I won't share my experiments with you. Thus, the 20-minute minature!

Before that, here are two pictures of the 1000 point game I got to play on Wednesday. As my (very few!) readers will remember from last post, my FLGS started a new project, ably led by the Master Manipulator (every store needs one). The MM wrote up a list of viable armies, then knocked of Necrons - 'cause who wants 'em? - and we all rolled for an army to build. The idea is we build and play in increments (750, 1000, 1500, 2000) all the way up to 2500, then play in next years Hard Boyz to see how we do. I reported that I landed Chaos, but since my last post I allowed a trade to Bruce for the opportunity to roll again. I was actually okay with Chaos and interested in my MSU idea, but Bruce was a touch more interested so I went ahead with it.

Anyway, I rolled Daemons.

In a way, this is a tough break. It is well known that Daemons aren't a top tournament army at the moment, but forget all that - the idea of this project is to accept the challenge and make it work. More on this later, of course, but I threw together an army and played Jeff's Orks.

Jeff actually rolled Dark Eldar - and man am I excited to see what he does, since that's not an army we see around here - but his order hasn't arrived, so he played his Ork army. I won't really touch on the game; I won, but it was as complete a burgle as I've ever seen. Here, the Warboss and two squads attack my Daemon Prince of Khorne. Recognize this model JWolf, Darkwynn, and company? It's the model I won at BOLSCON, so I was excited about the opportunity to use it.

Here's my save against the Warboss' Power Klaw. I see it as a sign from the gods of Chaos that my army is destined for great things! 666 baby! (Er, sorry Father. Yes, yes, off to confession... Think the Catholic Church understands wargaming?)

So here is my 20-minute miniature. I grabbed a model from my bitz-box, a Marine from my now retired, and in pieces, Harbinger army. I used this army for years, but some old miniatures age better than others; Marine models didn't age well at all, so I had to start anew. No regrets.

I over brushed brown then dry brushed silver. I added details as quickly as I could - remember, I wanted to paint the entire thing in under 20 minutes. I was actually surprised that I had the time to do the shoulder pads, but there you go.

Here's another view.

So after taking the pictures I decided to try dipping the model. I've used dip in the past on my Beasts of Chaos army but never on 40K models. It didn't work out too well, as you can see.

So after all this - what did I learn? Don't use old dip. Even though I shook it it still didn't work well at all. Not the effect I was hoping for... still, I guess that means I'll have to paint up another one and try it over again.

1 comment:

Gauthic said...

It's amazing how downhill that game went after that roll. Yes, I killed the Daemon Prince, but it took 3 close combat rounds to get that final wound on him.

Everything would have been different if just one of those were a 4 ;)

hehe

(A new favorite!) Anon: I haven’t even bothered playing a game of 6th yet, cause I have read the rules, and actually understand how they interact with units. I know my armies no longer function how they should, and so I need to change them.

Strictly Average: 'cause 6-inches is all you get.

Stalking Jawaballs since 2009.

Jawaballs: "My butt just tightened up."

Brent, preferred 2-to-1 over Not Brent in a recent, scientific poll.

Brent: emptied the Kool Aid and DRINKING YOUR MILKSHAKE with an extra-long straw.

Unicorns don't exist.

Home of the Stormbuster, the Dyson Pattern Storm Raven.

I'm a comment whore and this whore is getting no play.

Not Brent hurts Brent's feelings.

I think, therefore I blog.

"You should stop writing for everyone else and worry about your crappy blog." - Anon.

Not Brent has been spotted lurking around with a green marker.

He's not like a bad guy from a cartoon, all devious but never quite evil, Not Brent is bad beans, man, bad beans.

Dethtron: "Again I feel obliged to remind you that trying to sound smart only works if you are."

MVB: "I am not one to join the unwashed masses of self-titled 40k experts out there distributing advice from their blogs about exactly how your list should be built..."

Shiner Bock on tap: that's how I choose hotels.

Strictly Average: The Home of Hugs and Gropings.

Don't feed the trolls!

MoD: "Welcome to Brent's head."

Competitive is Consistent.

Dethtron: "...you could use that extra time to figure out a way to get your panties unbunched and perform a sandectomy on your vagina."

Dethtron: “When calling someone an idiot, it's generally best to avoid making grammatical mistakes.”

Warboss Stalin: "You know, if it actually WAS funny, maybe I wouldn't mind."

Mike Brandt: "It's not a successful bachelor party if you don't misplace someone".

"The Master Manipulator (every store needs one): "...now, enough stroking."

Kirby: "I don't know about gropings. Seriously, Brent, keep it in the pants, please."

Loquacious: "No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't get Hugs & Gropings or Stalks Jawaballs into Brent's little tribute."

Captain Kellen: "I rate this article a Brent on the Faith Hill to Nancy Pelosi scale!"

Drathmere: "Come for the balls, stay for the Brent? Kind of disturbing, man."

Go no further, lest thee see something thine eyes would fain look past!

Isabelle: "So, thank you for supporting your local and not so local unicorns. A noble gesture like that can show some scared kids out there that they don't have to hide from everyone and it's ok to be who they really are."

There is nothing more interesting than We The People... in all our beautiful, ugly glory!

On Internet Advice: You see, I have an almost religious belief that's it's a huge, colossal waste of time.

...I think I'll call it the Gun Shy Pattern Stormbuster, because after the Internet destroyed my first humble effort, I find I'm a bit worried about the reaction to this one.

Lauby: "Is it left over from that time you thought that you could just complete step one 12 times to meet the mandates of that court order?"

Not Brent: "I guess we'll have to read on and find out. Signed, Not Brent. Especially today."

Cynthia Davis: "I think the scrolling text is from Glen Beck's new book."

Grimaldi: "Spamming certain units creates interesting possibilities but also fatal weaknesses."

Purgatus: "Math can inform decisions. It cannot make decisions."

Thoughts? Comments? Hugs and gropings?

You'd be that much quicker to figure out what I mean when I refer to a Unicorn if I covered it in a rainbow flag.

SinSynn: (To Brent) "Curse you and your insidious influence on the internets..."

Dave G (N++): "You know you're an internet celebrity when your following is more akin to tabloids."

I prefer the term Internet Personality (or IP) myself, seeing as how I coined it.

Lauby: "Your attempt to humanize him as failed. I feel nothing but scorn for his beard - it's like a warcrime or something."

BBF: "I've always thought you are a good player but I finally figured out that you are a great player. It's hard to see sometimes because your personality is engaging, sincere and quite charming - to me that is kind of a rare combination."

'Clearly cheating?' I didn't misspeak: you jumped to conclusions. If you'd like to apologize I'll be happy to send you an autographed picture of my ass.

Ass.

I thought I was doing alright before I realized I was losing.

Age and treachery beats youth and vigor every time.

Popular Posts