7.19.2010

WarGames Con Test Game

In the midst of a sea of enthusiasm for Warhammer, my boy Big Whit asked me last week if I wanted a game of 40K.  I accepted, since BoLSCon WarGames Con is right around the corner.  It's also useful for me to keep the rules straight, since I'm famous for mixing rules if we're playing one too many different games.

I blame it on too many drugs in the 60's.

No, I wasn't born in the 60's.  Nor do illegal drugs pass these lips.  What?  No, I don't shoot up!  Suspicious much?  Let's move on.

CliffNotes:  There is a game of 40K and a bunch of pictures.

This is a straight game.  He brought the army he's most comfortable with, his Chaos Space Marines, and we rolled for the scenario, which turned out to be Seize Ground Dawn of War.


He wins the roll and makes me go first.  He places a Rhino with Plague Marines behind cover and a Lash Prince behind that.  I choose a conservative drop - pretty much a mirror split - and begin deep striking.  My strategy for Dawn of War changes depending on the army I face, because you just know that at the bottom of Turn 1 his army is going to come rolling on with the bit between its collective teeth, looking for targets within assault range.
Here's the other half of the board, where 3 of the objectives are stacked.  A unit of Bearers and a unit of Horrors drop in terrain.  I lose 2 Horrors.  Oh, the horror.  As I was saying, I normally put a few units near the line so the opponent can munch on them, so I can counter-assault later with the Fiends, who always, always drop behind the lines.
There he is.  I drop two units of Heralds and a Daemon Prince within range of Bolt.  One of the Heralds is my bait unit.  He's perfect for the role since he has 5 wounds and a 4+ save.
He rolls on.  His Chosen targets my Herald and his Plague Marines (I shot their ride down on the drop) move up to engage my DP.
He manages to drop my DP with combined firepower from the Predators and the Plague Marines.  That gives him the option of charging my Herald, which he does.  The Herald on the right suffers a charge as well.  I can understand the decision, since he knows how aggressive I play them and how useful they can be if they get rolling.  He wants them gone and almost does it.  Luckily, the 4+ save saves me.
On Turn 2 I bring in my reserves (in the picture above, it is the unit of Fiends on the left) and counter-charge his Daemon Princes with my Fiends.  I'm not able to bring the full squad to bear on the left, so we push, but I bring down the one on the right and consolidate in cover.  Little did I realize the champ in the Chosen squad was feeling a bit... funny.
Same melee, different angle.  It actually worked out well for me that his Daemon Prince survived, since my Fiends weren't the target of his firepower on the bottom of two.
Here's the battlefield from the left board edge.  You can see the right flank, which so far I've not talked about.  Basically, he brought on his Troops in Rhinos to concentrate on taking the objectives.  I also drop my troops on that side, supported by a Daemon Prince.
Here's an overview.  I'm starting to swarm his line.  I finish the DP on the left flank and set up for a charge on the Predators.  My second unit of Fiends is eyeballing the Plague Marines - all two of them - who survived the attack from my Deep Striking Herald.  In the center of the CSM deployment zone I have Fiends fighting his Greater Daemon... 'cause the Chosen Champ really, really wasn't feeling well and some headaches are better than others!  In the same terrain on the other side, is a unit of Chaos Space Marines, and with that let's turn our attention to the right flank.  He brought all his firepower to bear, unloading two squads of Marines and a squad of Plague Marines and unloaded on my lines.  It was a calculated risk, 'cause if it didn't work then payback would be a bitch.  And it was!  Big Whit was a bit disappointed that he accomplished so little with his push and could do very little as my Heralds and Daemon Prince started hitting the lines with Breath and Gaze.  His Plague Marines suffered the most, since they don't get Feel No Pain if they don't get a save.  Breath denies them that, of course.
His Great Daemon eats my Fiends and runs to support his troops.  My Fiends brought low one Predator and were pulling off the bumper on the other.  The Chosen were loaded in their rhino, ready to shift positions.  The left flank was mine.
Uh oh.  My Plague Bearers are wondering why the big Daemon doesn't seem to like them...
...where did they go?  The Daemon Prince ate them, then died.  I'd like to think it was a bellyache, but it was my last Daemon Prince dropping in.  I won't waste the space on more explanation: I'm engaged in mop-up and we call the game.

That's game!  I really appreciate Big Whit for playing this game with me.  He's never had much luck playing me - I mean that literally: his luck sucks - but he's always willing to help me out.  I think this game was important, since it keeps my skill with the list at a high level, but it also proved I need to spend some time with the rulebook before the tournament.  I don't want to make any silly mistakes just because we've been playing a lot of Fantasy lately.
Thanks again, Big Whit.

3 comments:

rancor709 said...

Glad I'm not the only one with old and different rule sets that like to pop into my brain from time to time. Gotta bust out the old book and Make sure I got it all straight for Wargames con.

Brent said...

Make sure you say hi when I meet you in Austin, Rancor - meeting folks is half the reason I'm going.

Brent

TheKing Elessar said...

Hrmmm, I thought I commented. Enjoyable BatRep, I like to watch solid (for them) Daemon lists in action. I think the Chaos could do with a few tweaks, but it's Chaos.

(A new favorite!) Anon: I haven’t even bothered playing a game of 6th yet, cause I have read the rules, and actually understand how they interact with units. I know my armies no longer function how they should, and so I need to change them.

Strictly Average: 'cause 6-inches is all you get.

Stalking Jawaballs since 2009.

Jawaballs: "My butt just tightened up."

Brent, preferred 2-to-1 over Not Brent in a recent, scientific poll.

Brent: emptied the Kool Aid and DRINKING YOUR MILKSHAKE with an extra-long straw.

Unicorns don't exist.

Home of the Stormbuster, the Dyson Pattern Storm Raven.

I'm a comment whore and this whore is getting no play.

Not Brent hurts Brent's feelings.

I think, therefore I blog.

"You should stop writing for everyone else and worry about your crappy blog." - Anon.

Not Brent has been spotted lurking around with a green marker.

He's not like a bad guy from a cartoon, all devious but never quite evil, Not Brent is bad beans, man, bad beans.

Dethtron: "Again I feel obliged to remind you that trying to sound smart only works if you are."

MVB: "I am not one to join the unwashed masses of self-titled 40k experts out there distributing advice from their blogs about exactly how your list should be built..."

Shiner Bock on tap: that's how I choose hotels.

Strictly Average: The Home of Hugs and Gropings.

Don't feed the trolls!

MoD: "Welcome to Brent's head."

Competitive is Consistent.

Dethtron: "...you could use that extra time to figure out a way to get your panties unbunched and perform a sandectomy on your vagina."

Dethtron: “When calling someone an idiot, it's generally best to avoid making grammatical mistakes.”

Warboss Stalin: "You know, if it actually WAS funny, maybe I wouldn't mind."

Mike Brandt: "It's not a successful bachelor party if you don't misplace someone".

"The Master Manipulator (every store needs one): "...now, enough stroking."

Kirby: "I don't know about gropings. Seriously, Brent, keep it in the pants, please."

Loquacious: "No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't get Hugs & Gropings or Stalks Jawaballs into Brent's little tribute."

Captain Kellen: "I rate this article a Brent on the Faith Hill to Nancy Pelosi scale!"

Drathmere: "Come for the balls, stay for the Brent? Kind of disturbing, man."

Go no further, lest thee see something thine eyes would fain look past!

Isabelle: "So, thank you for supporting your local and not so local unicorns. A noble gesture like that can show some scared kids out there that they don't have to hide from everyone and it's ok to be who they really are."

There is nothing more interesting than We The People... in all our beautiful, ugly glory!

On Internet Advice: You see, I have an almost religious belief that's it's a huge, colossal waste of time.

...I think I'll call it the Gun Shy Pattern Stormbuster, because after the Internet destroyed my first humble effort, I find I'm a bit worried about the reaction to this one.

Lauby: "Is it left over from that time you thought that you could just complete step one 12 times to meet the mandates of that court order?"

Not Brent: "I guess we'll have to read on and find out. Signed, Not Brent. Especially today."

Cynthia Davis: "I think the scrolling text is from Glen Beck's new book."

Grimaldi: "Spamming certain units creates interesting possibilities but also fatal weaknesses."

Purgatus: "Math can inform decisions. It cannot make decisions."

Thoughts? Comments? Hugs and gropings?

You'd be that much quicker to figure out what I mean when I refer to a Unicorn if I covered it in a rainbow flag.

SinSynn: (To Brent) "Curse you and your insidious influence on the internets..."

Dave G (N++): "You know you're an internet celebrity when your following is more akin to tabloids."

I prefer the term Internet Personality (or IP) myself, seeing as how I coined it.

Lauby: "Your attempt to humanize him as failed. I feel nothing but scorn for his beard - it's like a warcrime or something."

BBF: "I've always thought you are a good player but I finally figured out that you are a great player. It's hard to see sometimes because your personality is engaging, sincere and quite charming - to me that is kind of a rare combination."

'Clearly cheating?' I didn't misspeak: you jumped to conclusions. If you'd like to apologize I'll be happy to send you an autographed picture of my ass.

Ass.

I thought I was doing alright before I realized I was losing.

Age and treachery beats youth and vigor every time.

Popular Posts