7.09.2010

How Do the FAQ's Affect Me?

Quick post, and I'll probably post over it later with a battle report, Beastmen vs Vampire Counts.

(Reminder: check out Blood of Kittens for Part I of On Blogging.)

So as everyone is aware the FAQ's are out.  I'm not going to comment on those for armies I don't use - I'll leave that to others.  I play Beastmen and Tomb Kings, so let's take a brief look for initial thoughts.


Beastmen

You'd better believe I'm going to have a scouting chariot.  I'm going to love my scouting chariot.  I'm going to hug it and squeeze it and call it George.



I don't have my Beastmen army book with me, but I think they just nerf'd my Hunting Spear.  The FAQ states the change to the second line is as follows, "The Hunting Spear is a throwing weapon with a range of 24-inches."  It was a Bolt Thrower... now it's a stick?  I'll have to check to make sure, but I was loving the idea of a Bray Shaman with a Bolt Thrower... or a Wargor with a Hunting Spear in a scouting chariot.  Believe that!

UPDATE: They didn't nerf my spear!  It still counts as a Bolt Thrower... let the fun begin...

As a general statement, using the Common Magic items with the points values from the (old) army books but the stats from the new Bible is stupid - strike that, not stupid... LAZY.

I have to say though, for the most part I'm pretty happy with this FAQ.  I give it a solid B.


Tomb Kings

This is a pretty perfect FAQ, in my opinion.  It addresses the magic, covering all the bases.  It also works out pretty much like I thought it should, melding the army book with the new rulesets, so there's not a 'what the heck' moment.

The Casket of Souls got a nice boost.  The Crook and Flail of Radiance is going to be very useful.

My only, minor, gripe is a Tomb King or Prince can't rebuild their chariot if it has been destroyed, but that makes sense given 8th.  The model will have to move off to the side of the unit as per the new rules for differing footprints.  No big deal.  This is offset by the chariot sticking around if the character is killed; that was a must-do in my opinion, otherwise attacking the character is a two-for-the-price-of-one.

Good stuff.  Anybody have thoughts on the FAQ's that affect them?  I know Gauthic and his High Elves are happy today... can you say Great Weapons and Always Strike First?  I knew you could!

UPDATE:

Boy, the Vampire Counts just nerf-punched the Banshee.  Little Barrera is gonna be disappointed.

3 comments:

Gauthic said...

Lions and Swordsmen and Chariots! OH MY!
Lions and Swordsmen and Chariots! OH MY!
Lions and Swordsmen and Chariots! OH MY!

raaaaaaawwwwrrrr!

Yes, I'm a theatre geek.

Anonymous said...

Butchers with stacking Remains In Play spells....can you say Ws5 S8 T7 I4 MR (2) Stubborn ItP Regenerative Maneaters?! I knew you could...

Brent said...

Holy smoke, dude - I didn't even think of that!

Drop by and let me know how your games are going.

Brent

(A new favorite!) Anon: I haven’t even bothered playing a game of 6th yet, cause I have read the rules, and actually understand how they interact with units. I know my armies no longer function how they should, and so I need to change them.

Strictly Average: 'cause 6-inches is all you get.

Stalking Jawaballs since 2009.

Jawaballs: "My butt just tightened up."

Brent, preferred 2-to-1 over Not Brent in a recent, scientific poll.

Brent: emptied the Kool Aid and DRINKING YOUR MILKSHAKE with an extra-long straw.

Unicorns don't exist.

Home of the Stormbuster, the Dyson Pattern Storm Raven.

I'm a comment whore and this whore is getting no play.

Not Brent hurts Brent's feelings.

I think, therefore I blog.

"You should stop writing for everyone else and worry about your crappy blog." - Anon.

Not Brent has been spotted lurking around with a green marker.

He's not like a bad guy from a cartoon, all devious but never quite evil, Not Brent is bad beans, man, bad beans.

Dethtron: "Again I feel obliged to remind you that trying to sound smart only works if you are."

MVB: "I am not one to join the unwashed masses of self-titled 40k experts out there distributing advice from their blogs about exactly how your list should be built..."

Shiner Bock on tap: that's how I choose hotels.

Strictly Average: The Home of Hugs and Gropings.

Don't feed the trolls!

MoD: "Welcome to Brent's head."

Competitive is Consistent.

Dethtron: "...you could use that extra time to figure out a way to get your panties unbunched and perform a sandectomy on your vagina."

Dethtron: “When calling someone an idiot, it's generally best to avoid making grammatical mistakes.”

Warboss Stalin: "You know, if it actually WAS funny, maybe I wouldn't mind."

Mike Brandt: "It's not a successful bachelor party if you don't misplace someone".

"The Master Manipulator (every store needs one): "...now, enough stroking."

Kirby: "I don't know about gropings. Seriously, Brent, keep it in the pants, please."

Loquacious: "No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't get Hugs & Gropings or Stalks Jawaballs into Brent's little tribute."

Captain Kellen: "I rate this article a Brent on the Faith Hill to Nancy Pelosi scale!"

Drathmere: "Come for the balls, stay for the Brent? Kind of disturbing, man."

Go no further, lest thee see something thine eyes would fain look past!

Isabelle: "So, thank you for supporting your local and not so local unicorns. A noble gesture like that can show some scared kids out there that they don't have to hide from everyone and it's ok to be who they really are."

There is nothing more interesting than We The People... in all our beautiful, ugly glory!

On Internet Advice: You see, I have an almost religious belief that's it's a huge, colossal waste of time.

...I think I'll call it the Gun Shy Pattern Stormbuster, because after the Internet destroyed my first humble effort, I find I'm a bit worried about the reaction to this one.

Lauby: "Is it left over from that time you thought that you could just complete step one 12 times to meet the mandates of that court order?"

Not Brent: "I guess we'll have to read on and find out. Signed, Not Brent. Especially today."

Cynthia Davis: "I think the scrolling text is from Glen Beck's new book."

Grimaldi: "Spamming certain units creates interesting possibilities but also fatal weaknesses."

Purgatus: "Math can inform decisions. It cannot make decisions."

Thoughts? Comments? Hugs and gropings?

You'd be that much quicker to figure out what I mean when I refer to a Unicorn if I covered it in a rainbow flag.

SinSynn: (To Brent) "Curse you and your insidious influence on the internets..."

Dave G (N++): "You know you're an internet celebrity when your following is more akin to tabloids."

I prefer the term Internet Personality (or IP) myself, seeing as how I coined it.

Lauby: "Your attempt to humanize him as failed. I feel nothing but scorn for his beard - it's like a warcrime or something."

BBF: "I've always thought you are a good player but I finally figured out that you are a great player. It's hard to see sometimes because your personality is engaging, sincere and quite charming - to me that is kind of a rare combination."

'Clearly cheating?' I didn't misspeak: you jumped to conclusions. If you'd like to apologize I'll be happy to send you an autographed picture of my ass.

Ass.

I thought I was doing alright before I realized I was losing.

Age and treachery beats youth and vigor every time.

Popular Posts