7.31.2010

Day One of Singles Tournament, Winding Down

Ok, NotBrent is now posting comments, and Brent is officially freaked out.  Fortunately it hasn't put him off his game.  He described Game 4 as "a pretty brutal beat-down, and I was doing the beating."  Ever the gentleman (cracker), he did add that it was a bad match-up for his opponent.

Random pic, but nice, yes?

Amusingly, Brent's third game was played on the same table as game 1.  I imagine he's getting tired of the Tatooine looking buildings.  Winning the third game put him on table 30-something for game 4.  Also amusing, Brent's opponents from game 1 and two 2 faced off in game 3.  I am curious to see where Brent lands when the dust settles.  People playing on the top five tables might be playing in the 20's and 30's in the next round.  I believe there are 2 games to be played tomorrow.  Possibly three.  Certain details just bore me.

Cliffsnotes:  My new hero, random observations on the Con, rumors, and a good pixblitz.





I saw a sight to warm the bones.  One of the organizers, lets call him Jwolf (my new hero), was working hard on behalf of two of the participants:
Both these players brought Ork hordes, so they would mark their six inches, and Jwolf would move them--fast!  His hands were a blur (and not just because of all the Shiner Brent keeps buying me).  It takes a noble soul to serve others, don't you think?  Anyway, after all is said and done, I think the second rule of Fight Cl--I mean WAR Games Con is "Slow play will not be tolerated."
And speaking of blurry, here's scenario two:

You may have trouble reading this, but trust me, this is what it looks like to a few of the guzzl--Hic--I mean gamers here at WAR Games Con.

I did finally track down the bellicose Honky-slayer.  Wow, spell checker was cool with "Honky-slayer."  Which reminds me, sorry, Brent, if I get you deleted from any blogrolls--wtf, Spellchecker, you have a problem with "blogrolls" and "wtf," but not "Spellchecker?" F you, you egotistical, automatous --WHAT?!?!?  !@#$% YOU, Spellchecker, I spelled "automatous" correctly!  I was going to say that I was one drink shy of profound profanity, but you, Spellchecker, are tasking me.  Dammit, I just ranted after all, didn't I?  Sorry, back to ConCoverage (yes, Spellchecker, thank you, there's no such word)...Where can you get ConCoverage like this folks?  Only at Strictly Average (at least until Brent gets back from drinking with Goatboy).  And you guys thought Brent had nerd rage.

So, as I was saying before I was so rudely interrupted, the Honky-slayer looks like a skinhead.  Well, his head was shaved and he's tattooed.  There are a lot of tats at the Con.  Good ones.  I dig.  I am hoping Brent plays the Honky-slayer tomorrow, since I think Brent was genuinely annoyed by "that guy."  Could be good fun.

About today's crowd, all of yesterday's hardcore gamers are here, but the crowd is definitely more diverse for the main event.  More variety in gender, color, age, blah, blah, blah.  Like I said some details bore me.  Variety is nice.  Isn't that enough said?  (Hopefully Honky-slayer gets the memo, but AFTER he plays Brent.)

Blog Bonus:  I got to read a poster of Chuck Norris facts this morning while I waited for my latte at Kick Butt Coffee.  Just makes your whole day glow when that happens, doesn't it?  Also saw a T-shirt with some good C.N. facts.  (By the way, Cn is the symbol for cyanide, one of the world's most deadly anions.  Not a coincidence.  Thank you sweet morning-Chuck-Norris poster for this observation.)  Well, I may have just jumped the shark by dropping Chuck Norris into the middle of a post, so we better skip to the pixblitz (thank you, Spellchecker.  You and I are going to have a little sit down in a minute) before anyone's (besides what's-his-face) eyes glaze over:

Russian Dolls?
This must be game 2, because this guy has been on table one for the past two games

Oh, and the rumor is that the Flames of War Nationals will be at next years Con.  Is that old news?  A secret?  What do I know...


FYI, Spellchecker and I have mad up.  To it's credit, it did recognize that Chuck Norris is a real word.  I don't think well have any move problems form now no.

4 comments:

fester said...

"I don't think well have any move problems form now no. "

I saw what you did there SpellChecker ....

SAJ said...

HEY! It's 9:52 in the A.M. Get up and feed me more Con!

Oh, I saw the painting competition entry photo. More please. I have ambitions...

Farseer Tim said...

After a year of stalking Jawaballs, let's see how Brent enjoys being on the other side of the equation.

TheKing Elessar said...

Kudos to JWolf for doing that...BUT - I think that's the one game where both players should be forced to endure the feeling of facing off against such a dull opposition.

It's not personal, ofc, I wasn't there and don't know them - but people who are willing to subject their opponents to Horde Orks in timed games should be forced to sit through the same punishment...I don't care if they fail to get beyond T2 as a result.

(A new favorite!) Anon: I haven’t even bothered playing a game of 6th yet, cause I have read the rules, and actually understand how they interact with units. I know my armies no longer function how they should, and so I need to change them.

Strictly Average: 'cause 6-inches is all you get.

Stalking Jawaballs since 2009.

Jawaballs: "My butt just tightened up."

Brent, preferred 2-to-1 over Not Brent in a recent, scientific poll.

Brent: emptied the Kool Aid and DRINKING YOUR MILKSHAKE with an extra-long straw.

Unicorns don't exist.

Home of the Stormbuster, the Dyson Pattern Storm Raven.

I'm a comment whore and this whore is getting no play.

Not Brent hurts Brent's feelings.

I think, therefore I blog.

"You should stop writing for everyone else and worry about your crappy blog." - Anon.

Not Brent has been spotted lurking around with a green marker.

He's not like a bad guy from a cartoon, all devious but never quite evil, Not Brent is bad beans, man, bad beans.

Dethtron: "Again I feel obliged to remind you that trying to sound smart only works if you are."

MVB: "I am not one to join the unwashed masses of self-titled 40k experts out there distributing advice from their blogs about exactly how your list should be built..."

Shiner Bock on tap: that's how I choose hotels.

Strictly Average: The Home of Hugs and Gropings.

Don't feed the trolls!

MoD: "Welcome to Brent's head."

Competitive is Consistent.

Dethtron: "...you could use that extra time to figure out a way to get your panties unbunched and perform a sandectomy on your vagina."

Dethtron: “When calling someone an idiot, it's generally best to avoid making grammatical mistakes.”

Warboss Stalin: "You know, if it actually WAS funny, maybe I wouldn't mind."

Mike Brandt: "It's not a successful bachelor party if you don't misplace someone".

"The Master Manipulator (every store needs one): "...now, enough stroking."

Kirby: "I don't know about gropings. Seriously, Brent, keep it in the pants, please."

Loquacious: "No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't get Hugs & Gropings or Stalks Jawaballs into Brent's little tribute."

Captain Kellen: "I rate this article a Brent on the Faith Hill to Nancy Pelosi scale!"

Drathmere: "Come for the balls, stay for the Brent? Kind of disturbing, man."

Go no further, lest thee see something thine eyes would fain look past!

Isabelle: "So, thank you for supporting your local and not so local unicorns. A noble gesture like that can show some scared kids out there that they don't have to hide from everyone and it's ok to be who they really are."

There is nothing more interesting than We The People... in all our beautiful, ugly glory!

On Internet Advice: You see, I have an almost religious belief that's it's a huge, colossal waste of time.

...I think I'll call it the Gun Shy Pattern Stormbuster, because after the Internet destroyed my first humble effort, I find I'm a bit worried about the reaction to this one.

Lauby: "Is it left over from that time you thought that you could just complete step one 12 times to meet the mandates of that court order?"

Not Brent: "I guess we'll have to read on and find out. Signed, Not Brent. Especially today."

Cynthia Davis: "I think the scrolling text is from Glen Beck's new book."

Grimaldi: "Spamming certain units creates interesting possibilities but also fatal weaknesses."

Purgatus: "Math can inform decisions. It cannot make decisions."

Thoughts? Comments? Hugs and gropings?

You'd be that much quicker to figure out what I mean when I refer to a Unicorn if I covered it in a rainbow flag.

SinSynn: (To Brent) "Curse you and your insidious influence on the internets..."

Dave G (N++): "You know you're an internet celebrity when your following is more akin to tabloids."

I prefer the term Internet Personality (or IP) myself, seeing as how I coined it.

Lauby: "Your attempt to humanize him as failed. I feel nothing but scorn for his beard - it's like a warcrime or something."

BBF: "I've always thought you are a good player but I finally figured out that you are a great player. It's hard to see sometimes because your personality is engaging, sincere and quite charming - to me that is kind of a rare combination."

'Clearly cheating?' I didn't misspeak: you jumped to conclusions. If you'd like to apologize I'll be happy to send you an autographed picture of my ass.

Ass.

I thought I was doing alright before I realized I was losing.

Age and treachery beats youth and vigor every time.

Popular Posts