7.31.2010

"I'm Bringing Nerdy Back"

Saw that on a T-shirt earlier.  Been B-boxing ever since.

Herr Fernseher here, Brent's acting assistant.  Well, I am actually finding myself hoping Brent does poorly in game three and four; if he is not competing as well as he hopes, then I might have a chance of talking him into finding the beer pong table here at the hotel later tonight.  I'd say my chances are 50/50.  Look and see:

Some competitors came hungry.  Apparently, Brent came thirsty.
One of the most amusing sights of the weekend was finding Brent pacing outside the locked doors of the hotel bar 10 minutes before they opened, occasionally stopping to peer longingly through the windows.  One would think I have a good chance of talking him into beer pong later tonight.  However...

Cliffsnotes:  Stay tuned!  After the break, a near rant, a couple of Strictly Average milestones, and a pixblitz!



Could be a Victory
Something was telling me that Brent was winning his third game, so maybe no beer pong after all.

What about game two you ask?  Brent lost.  But not by much.  Some people were giving up 47 points when they lost.  I think I heard that Brent gave up 8.  He's moved from table 42 to table 53 for the third game.  They are not posting a lot of info, but I'm assuming I can infer group standings from table numbers.  (That's how it was yesterday for the doubles tournament when they were posting the teams scores.)

As an aside, if promoters really want to grow war gaming as hobby/sport, then they need to cater to spectators.  Some people won't pay $50-$500 to participate in and event like this, but they would pay $15 to watch the kind of people who do.  All you have to do is make a production.  Post results large.  Publish player profiles.  Put top players up on some kind of well-lit, centrally located platform with spectator seats around it.  I know full well that some loathe elitism in any form, but this will grow the hobby.  I'd rather this be done soon by people who love the games and the community, than by someone who is motivated by profit alone.  Let me use myself as an example:  I suck at golf, but I (occasionally) enjoy watching excellent golfers.  Better example:  I really suck at chess, but I would pay to spend a weekend at a top-draw chess tournament.

Maybe more headache than it's worth, but bringing in vendors would also be cool.  I am not competing this weekend, and so I've got time to shop.  My money is burning a hole in my pocket, but since there isn't a big score set up for spectators here, I'm left laying plans to get my friend ("master") to come play Beer Pong with me.  Maybe I'm off-base here; if so I blame Brent for buying me beer and then giving me access to his blog.  Hmm.  Yes, I'm going to do it.  Dear Reader, allow me to introduce you too Strictly Average's first emoticon:

:)

Ok, that felt good.  Maybe we should name him.  Any ideas?  I veto "Smiley" right now.  Anyway, while on the subject of Strictly Average milestones, happy 300th.  Yes, this is the 300th post.  Everyone should know by now that Brent couldn't have done it without forced labor (me, Herr Fernseher), but at least this isn't a writer's mill where I wouldn't even get named.  If I had a lick of ambition, I'd be linking to my own anemic blog, but that would be a big waste of time for everyone.  In fact, I suspect I may have begun rambling and may even  be coming dangerously close to a rant.  I wonder how well Brent is holding his Shiner?  I don't smoke and I think I may still go have a cigarette.. brb.  Oh, snap, I'm slipping into l33t.  Sorry, Brent, this is all falling apart.


We interrupt this program to get a grip...


Ok, Herr Fernseher here, maintaining.  What's his face whose eyes glaze over at 750 words probably checked out of this post early.  His loss.  Now we can get to the point...ah, crap, what was the point?   

Ah, deliverance.  This just in:  Game Three was in fact a Solid Victory for Brent, and
Celebrating the game 3 victory with Shiner Bock
 ...my chances of getting Brent to Beer Pong--a true competitor's sport--are looking better.

And now for this post's pixblitz:

I thought this was a big tank...
Until I saw one as large as a storage gin.  Mmmm...gin.  No, no, I meant "storage bin"  (Stupid typos.  "Bad, typos, bad!)
And Doom Divers think their ride is fly!  (I met a nice guy named Patrick who did this. 
He has some cool Orks.  More to come...)

Shout out to the city of Austin:  I love ya.  Everywhere else in the state I pay import/premium prices for a Shiner Bock beer, but here in the capitol of Texas, Shiner is always cheap.  Also, I'm kind of a music snob, and I've been enjoying most of the lobby's music.  Why did I ever move away?

WAR Games Con, FTW!
Happy 300th, Brent!

3 comments:

Chumbalaya said...

Woo, beer pong! I'm undefeated.

TheKing Elessar said...

That second Leviathan/Capitol Imperialis variant is incredible. Well, they're BOTH great, but...guh.

Rabscutle said...

Thanks for the love on my Orks Brent. So much of the Narrative was just going "wow that looks cool as hell" while we blew it up...

(A new favorite!) Anon: I haven’t even bothered playing a game of 6th yet, cause I have read the rules, and actually understand how they interact with units. I know my armies no longer function how they should, and so I need to change them.

Strictly Average: 'cause 6-inches is all you get.

Stalking Jawaballs since 2009.

Jawaballs: "My butt just tightened up."

Brent, preferred 2-to-1 over Not Brent in a recent, scientific poll.

Brent: emptied the Kool Aid and DRINKING YOUR MILKSHAKE with an extra-long straw.

Unicorns don't exist.

Home of the Stormbuster, the Dyson Pattern Storm Raven.

I'm a comment whore and this whore is getting no play.

Not Brent hurts Brent's feelings.

I think, therefore I blog.

"You should stop writing for everyone else and worry about your crappy blog." - Anon.

Not Brent has been spotted lurking around with a green marker.

He's not like a bad guy from a cartoon, all devious but never quite evil, Not Brent is bad beans, man, bad beans.

Dethtron: "Again I feel obliged to remind you that trying to sound smart only works if you are."

MVB: "I am not one to join the unwashed masses of self-titled 40k experts out there distributing advice from their blogs about exactly how your list should be built..."

Shiner Bock on tap: that's how I choose hotels.

Strictly Average: The Home of Hugs and Gropings.

Don't feed the trolls!

MoD: "Welcome to Brent's head."

Competitive is Consistent.

Dethtron: "...you could use that extra time to figure out a way to get your panties unbunched and perform a sandectomy on your vagina."

Dethtron: “When calling someone an idiot, it's generally best to avoid making grammatical mistakes.”

Warboss Stalin: "You know, if it actually WAS funny, maybe I wouldn't mind."

Mike Brandt: "It's not a successful bachelor party if you don't misplace someone".

"The Master Manipulator (every store needs one): "...now, enough stroking."

Kirby: "I don't know about gropings. Seriously, Brent, keep it in the pants, please."

Loquacious: "No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't get Hugs & Gropings or Stalks Jawaballs into Brent's little tribute."

Captain Kellen: "I rate this article a Brent on the Faith Hill to Nancy Pelosi scale!"

Drathmere: "Come for the balls, stay for the Brent? Kind of disturbing, man."

Go no further, lest thee see something thine eyes would fain look past!

Isabelle: "So, thank you for supporting your local and not so local unicorns. A noble gesture like that can show some scared kids out there that they don't have to hide from everyone and it's ok to be who they really are."

There is nothing more interesting than We The People... in all our beautiful, ugly glory!

On Internet Advice: You see, I have an almost religious belief that's it's a huge, colossal waste of time.

...I think I'll call it the Gun Shy Pattern Stormbuster, because after the Internet destroyed my first humble effort, I find I'm a bit worried about the reaction to this one.

Lauby: "Is it left over from that time you thought that you could just complete step one 12 times to meet the mandates of that court order?"

Not Brent: "I guess we'll have to read on and find out. Signed, Not Brent. Especially today."

Cynthia Davis: "I think the scrolling text is from Glen Beck's new book."

Grimaldi: "Spamming certain units creates interesting possibilities but also fatal weaknesses."

Purgatus: "Math can inform decisions. It cannot make decisions."

Thoughts? Comments? Hugs and gropings?

You'd be that much quicker to figure out what I mean when I refer to a Unicorn if I covered it in a rainbow flag.

SinSynn: (To Brent) "Curse you and your insidious influence on the internets..."

Dave G (N++): "You know you're an internet celebrity when your following is more akin to tabloids."

I prefer the term Internet Personality (or IP) myself, seeing as how I coined it.

Lauby: "Your attempt to humanize him as failed. I feel nothing but scorn for his beard - it's like a warcrime or something."

BBF: "I've always thought you are a good player but I finally figured out that you are a great player. It's hard to see sometimes because your personality is engaging, sincere and quite charming - to me that is kind of a rare combination."

'Clearly cheating?' I didn't misspeak: you jumped to conclusions. If you'd like to apologize I'll be happy to send you an autographed picture of my ass.

Ass.

I thought I was doing alright before I realized I was losing.

Age and treachery beats youth and vigor every time.

Popular Posts