6.04.2010

Footdar FTW!

The cat is well and truly out of the bag now!  It's official: Fritz and I are taking Footdar to the BoLSCon team tournament.

You can read Fritz' article here.  The reaction was epic; it was very much the turd in the punchbowl.  Stelek also did a palm-to-face, posting a video describing how he feels about the whole thing.

My response: I feel like Marie Antoinette with a Cherokee Hair Tampon.  People are definitely looking at us funny...

There were some really good points made on Bell, most notably by Abuse Puppy and Sandwyrm.  Here is an edited version of my response.

Suffice it to say, Fritz and I have some tricks up our collective sleeves - also, if we don't win the grand and glorious first place, we're not going to cry about it.

I actually think the primary hit against us and our army will be the fact that Blackmoor and Reecius are running a Footdar list, which we didn't know... a good number of folks will know this and add some elements to their army they wouldn't normally have had.

Still, as long as we beat Goatboy and Jawaballs, I'll do a tabledance.

Land Raider spam or a full tilt boogie Mech Guard will hurt. We've got some plans, of course, but those are the bad matchups.

That deep knowledge gives us the confidence to try this. Folks, we're under no illusions about what an uphill battle this is going to be... that's why we're doing it!

I'll share this: we consider the team event to be a hobby event of sorts... we're more interested in stirring interest and creating a 'grudge match' with Goatboy and Jawaballs.

The weekend 40K event is completely different. I'm taking my baby-seal-beating-toughest list to try and win.

To any new players out there - don't try this at home! Footdar is a nuanced list at best; play something you'll have some success with!


I think that last point is the one I want to drive home.  I would never, ever encourage someone to buy a Footdar army.  I wouldn't buy Eldar at all until the new codex comes out, 'cause there are better places to spend your hobby dollar.  More to the point, I don't consider Footdar to be competitive - just because it can be given the right circumstances and the right general means nothing...

...that can be true of any army. 

Fritz and I are doing this for a host of reasons - not least of which is to stir up the net a bit and shake some things out.  It's most certainly not to encourage a host of Footdar clones!

Brent

PS: I know without seeing it that the primary argument will be, "...but they will go out and buy it!"  I can't be responsible for that, especially when I've been clear on my blog and in other forums what I think are the best armies to learn with.

7 comments:

Big Jim said...

Great post, I think you guys have to right attitude heading into this.

I also think that it is good to shake things up a bit. Sometimes things are so radical that you end up putting your opponent on the back foot before deployment.

Good luck and Good hunting, I expect to see plenty of red trophies at the end of BoLSCon!

-Jim

Chumbalaya said...

No, not FOOTDAR!!

Think of the children!

Herr Fernseher said...

And I always wondered if you were being ironic when you criticized Fritz's Footdar blog entries.

I hope you are shockingly successful with Footdar. I also hope that Guards are 6 points each in the next Codex. (And how dare you mention a new codex--when is it coming? Anyone? Anyone?)

Brent said...

For what it's worth, the Mighty Mighty Carlos saw the conversion work on my not-so-super-secret BoLSCon army and pronounced it 'very good.'

I think it's my best work to date, conversion wise.

But it's not hard to top the Storm Raven...

Blackmoor said...

Reece wrote an article on Foot Eldar a few months ago that was poorly received so that is why we thought it would be funny to play it in the team tournament. It would be ironic if we were matched up against each other there.

I have not settled on a army for BolsCon yet, but 2000 points in 2 hour games, I do not see myself playing my Eldar there. With all of the models/dice rolling, the they army takes a while to play.

Brent said...

Blackmoor - great minds think alike! That article was one of the reason Fritz had for broaching the subject.

It's always difficult to have certain conversations online, but isn't the whole Footdar thing really one way of talking about the list or the man that plays it?

I don't think Footdar are, all things being equal, as competitive as Mech Guard or Las/Plas SW spam, but those are lists. Ultimately, it's a player than wins or loses a game.

I think that's a distinction that's missing sometimes.

...

I wish I'd thought of that line for the post.

Again, Blackmoor, I look forward to meeting you and a host of other folks I chat with online. That's what I'm looking forward to more than anything.

Herr Fernseher said...

Personally, I'm looking forward to seeing the Bolscon army AND the Storm Raven in person.

And holy crap, have you seen the bickering generated by Fritz's article? What is the deal with Footdar? If John Lennon was right that "Woman is the nigger of the world," then a space elf on foot is the woman of 40k. Sheesh.

(A new favorite!) Anon: I haven’t even bothered playing a game of 6th yet, cause I have read the rules, and actually understand how they interact with units. I know my armies no longer function how they should, and so I need to change them.

Strictly Average: 'cause 6-inches is all you get.

Stalking Jawaballs since 2009.

Jawaballs: "My butt just tightened up."

Brent, preferred 2-to-1 over Not Brent in a recent, scientific poll.

Brent: emptied the Kool Aid and DRINKING YOUR MILKSHAKE with an extra-long straw.

Unicorns don't exist.

Home of the Stormbuster, the Dyson Pattern Storm Raven.

I'm a comment whore and this whore is getting no play.

Not Brent hurts Brent's feelings.

I think, therefore I blog.

"You should stop writing for everyone else and worry about your crappy blog." - Anon.

Not Brent has been spotted lurking around with a green marker.

He's not like a bad guy from a cartoon, all devious but never quite evil, Not Brent is bad beans, man, bad beans.

Dethtron: "Again I feel obliged to remind you that trying to sound smart only works if you are."

MVB: "I am not one to join the unwashed masses of self-titled 40k experts out there distributing advice from their blogs about exactly how your list should be built..."

Shiner Bock on tap: that's how I choose hotels.

Strictly Average: The Home of Hugs and Gropings.

Don't feed the trolls!

MoD: "Welcome to Brent's head."

Competitive is Consistent.

Dethtron: "...you could use that extra time to figure out a way to get your panties unbunched and perform a sandectomy on your vagina."

Dethtron: “When calling someone an idiot, it's generally best to avoid making grammatical mistakes.”

Warboss Stalin: "You know, if it actually WAS funny, maybe I wouldn't mind."

Mike Brandt: "It's not a successful bachelor party if you don't misplace someone".

"The Master Manipulator (every store needs one): "...now, enough stroking."

Kirby: "I don't know about gropings. Seriously, Brent, keep it in the pants, please."

Loquacious: "No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't get Hugs & Gropings or Stalks Jawaballs into Brent's little tribute."

Captain Kellen: "I rate this article a Brent on the Faith Hill to Nancy Pelosi scale!"

Drathmere: "Come for the balls, stay for the Brent? Kind of disturbing, man."

Go no further, lest thee see something thine eyes would fain look past!

Isabelle: "So, thank you for supporting your local and not so local unicorns. A noble gesture like that can show some scared kids out there that they don't have to hide from everyone and it's ok to be who they really are."

There is nothing more interesting than We The People... in all our beautiful, ugly glory!

On Internet Advice: You see, I have an almost religious belief that's it's a huge, colossal waste of time.

...I think I'll call it the Gun Shy Pattern Stormbuster, because after the Internet destroyed my first humble effort, I find I'm a bit worried about the reaction to this one.

Lauby: "Is it left over from that time you thought that you could just complete step one 12 times to meet the mandates of that court order?"

Not Brent: "I guess we'll have to read on and find out. Signed, Not Brent. Especially today."

Cynthia Davis: "I think the scrolling text is from Glen Beck's new book."

Grimaldi: "Spamming certain units creates interesting possibilities but also fatal weaknesses."

Purgatus: "Math can inform decisions. It cannot make decisions."

Thoughts? Comments? Hugs and gropings?

You'd be that much quicker to figure out what I mean when I refer to a Unicorn if I covered it in a rainbow flag.

SinSynn: (To Brent) "Curse you and your insidious influence on the internets..."

Dave G (N++): "You know you're an internet celebrity when your following is more akin to tabloids."

I prefer the term Internet Personality (or IP) myself, seeing as how I coined it.

Lauby: "Your attempt to humanize him as failed. I feel nothing but scorn for his beard - it's like a warcrime or something."

BBF: "I've always thought you are a good player but I finally figured out that you are a great player. It's hard to see sometimes because your personality is engaging, sincere and quite charming - to me that is kind of a rare combination."

'Clearly cheating?' I didn't misspeak: you jumped to conclusions. If you'd like to apologize I'll be happy to send you an autographed picture of my ass.

Ass.

I thought I was doing alright before I realized I was losing.

Age and treachery beats youth and vigor every time.

Popular Posts