12.17.2010

Daemons Vs Imperial Guard... Again!

So, we're down to the final game in the Comics Asylum tournament that was held a few weeks back.  My opponent is a well-traveled tournament player, whom I met first at Wargames Con.  Let me say up front that he is truly one of the nicest players I've run across, very friendly and outgoing.  I don't want to mention his name, since he was very careful not to appear in pictures (though all three of my opponents gave me permission to take and use the game pics) so I've got to assume he wants to remain private.

I got my preferred wave, and Fiends set up across the board in charge positions for Turn 2.  One unit drifted too far left, but it is what it is.



It's very difficult to follow the flow of this game through the pictures.  Suffice it to say, Primary was Kill Points, Secondary was table quarters, and my opponent full-reserved his Mech Guard.

That's not a terrible idea against Daemons.  While I can attack his army as it comes in... so can he.  If done properly, he can leave my army out of position and destroy those units too close to his board edge through devastating and numerous short-range firepower.

Still, if I can effect my strategy I'll do okay.  In general, these types of games are one of the few times I'll stack a drop; in this case, my preferred drop is my Fiends.  If I get my preferred wave, I can start launching assaults in Turn 2.  If I don't, all my shooting is in the other wave, so I'll start softening up targets for later in the game.

The right flank, top of Turn 2.  Since two of my three beasts units are on the left flank (relative), he's wisely concentrating on the right.

The battle is joined.  I'm multi-charging units, trying to do as much damage as possible before reinforcements arrive.  I have the advantage early against Guard in this scenario... which is actually the opposite of traditional games against them, where I suffer early.  The Hydras have to go, and they did.

He starting to get more and more units on, making me pay for every Kill Point.

Some of my units I hold back, intending to grab table quarters, but also avoiding Deep Striking in a unit-dense area of the battlefield.

By this time all his units are in play.  I'm ahead, but I'm too familiar with Guard to let up.  I tend to run of of steam late in the game, once my Fiends are brought to ground.

Back and forth.  This is late middle game, and he still has plenty of toys with which to counter attack.  It's hard to tell, but some of these tanks that look in play are actually destroyed.

With mech-heavy armies, it can be hard to tell what's wrecked, shaken, or stunned versus what's in play, especially when there are few distinguishing features in an army and a multitude of similar tanks.  Twice in this game I found myself moving to engage tanks that were destroyed.  Dice aren't really a reliable marker, since they tend to fall off.

Point is, I'd recommend you get dedicated counters if you're a mech-heavy force.  It's your army, it's on you!  Besides, you wouldn't appreciate me trying to put counters on your stuff, would you?

My opponent was perfectly honest about the disposition of his forces... and in one case, he could have literally put a full-sized unit of Guard in a Chimera back in play - I forgot I'd destroyed it, that's how thick and rough that middle game scrum was!  I might have realized it later, but by then what could I have done?  You can't rely on memory - you can't.

An example of why GW small dice are horrible!

By the end of the game, my opponent didn't have many toys left.  I was firmly in control, and had been through much of it after Turn 3.  He stayed positive, though the outcome wasn't in doubt.

 There's actually a few more pictures but I'll let it go here.  I ended up sealing the first place finish with this win, though I didn't realize it until later.  After all, I was on Table 2, not 1, so I assumed I was maybe  2nd or 3rd place.  The organizers actually moved me down so I could play on a different table, so that explains that!

The dude who won on Table 1 (did he play Stetson?) was interested in the outcome of my game with the mystery opponent, since obviously he stood to benefit if I drew or lost.  We talked later and he seemed confident his Mechdar with 3 units of War Walkers with Scatter Lasers could beat me up pretty good.

That's a game I hope to have in the future. :)

2 comments:

TheKing Elessar said...

Ouch. Fiends into Walkers...lol

Good game Brent, well played.

Anonymous said...

One of the best ways to show damage i have seen are plastic rings the size of a base.

You can hang them on the vehicle and they wont fall off, the amount of rings or the place where they hang can show/display something.

(A new favorite!) Anon: I haven’t even bothered playing a game of 6th yet, cause I have read the rules, and actually understand how they interact with units. I know my armies no longer function how they should, and so I need to change them.

Strictly Average: 'cause 6-inches is all you get.

Stalking Jawaballs since 2009.

Jawaballs: "My butt just tightened up."

Brent, preferred 2-to-1 over Not Brent in a recent, scientific poll.

Brent: emptied the Kool Aid and DRINKING YOUR MILKSHAKE with an extra-long straw.

Unicorns don't exist.

Home of the Stormbuster, the Dyson Pattern Storm Raven.

I'm a comment whore and this whore is getting no play.

Not Brent hurts Brent's feelings.

I think, therefore I blog.

"You should stop writing for everyone else and worry about your crappy blog." - Anon.

Not Brent has been spotted lurking around with a green marker.

He's not like a bad guy from a cartoon, all devious but never quite evil, Not Brent is bad beans, man, bad beans.

Dethtron: "Again I feel obliged to remind you that trying to sound smart only works if you are."

MVB: "I am not one to join the unwashed masses of self-titled 40k experts out there distributing advice from their blogs about exactly how your list should be built..."

Shiner Bock on tap: that's how I choose hotels.

Strictly Average: The Home of Hugs and Gropings.

Don't feed the trolls!

MoD: "Welcome to Brent's head."

Competitive is Consistent.

Dethtron: "...you could use that extra time to figure out a way to get your panties unbunched and perform a sandectomy on your vagina."

Dethtron: “When calling someone an idiot, it's generally best to avoid making grammatical mistakes.”

Warboss Stalin: "You know, if it actually WAS funny, maybe I wouldn't mind."

Mike Brandt: "It's not a successful bachelor party if you don't misplace someone".

"The Master Manipulator (every store needs one): "...now, enough stroking."

Kirby: "I don't know about gropings. Seriously, Brent, keep it in the pants, please."

Loquacious: "No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't get Hugs & Gropings or Stalks Jawaballs into Brent's little tribute."

Captain Kellen: "I rate this article a Brent on the Faith Hill to Nancy Pelosi scale!"

Drathmere: "Come for the balls, stay for the Brent? Kind of disturbing, man."

Go no further, lest thee see something thine eyes would fain look past!

Isabelle: "So, thank you for supporting your local and not so local unicorns. A noble gesture like that can show some scared kids out there that they don't have to hide from everyone and it's ok to be who they really are."

There is nothing more interesting than We The People... in all our beautiful, ugly glory!

On Internet Advice: You see, I have an almost religious belief that's it's a huge, colossal waste of time.

...I think I'll call it the Gun Shy Pattern Stormbuster, because after the Internet destroyed my first humble effort, I find I'm a bit worried about the reaction to this one.

Lauby: "Is it left over from that time you thought that you could just complete step one 12 times to meet the mandates of that court order?"

Not Brent: "I guess we'll have to read on and find out. Signed, Not Brent. Especially today."

Cynthia Davis: "I think the scrolling text is from Glen Beck's new book."

Grimaldi: "Spamming certain units creates interesting possibilities but also fatal weaknesses."

Purgatus: "Math can inform decisions. It cannot make decisions."

Thoughts? Comments? Hugs and gropings?

You'd be that much quicker to figure out what I mean when I refer to a Unicorn if I covered it in a rainbow flag.

SinSynn: (To Brent) "Curse you and your insidious influence on the internets..."

Dave G (N++): "You know you're an internet celebrity when your following is more akin to tabloids."

I prefer the term Internet Personality (or IP) myself, seeing as how I coined it.

Lauby: "Your attempt to humanize him as failed. I feel nothing but scorn for his beard - it's like a warcrime or something."

BBF: "I've always thought you are a good player but I finally figured out that you are a great player. It's hard to see sometimes because your personality is engaging, sincere and quite charming - to me that is kind of a rare combination."

'Clearly cheating?' I didn't misspeak: you jumped to conclusions. If you'd like to apologize I'll be happy to send you an autographed picture of my ass.

Ass.

I thought I was doing alright before I realized I was losing.

Age and treachery beats youth and vigor every time.

Popular Posts