8.01.2010

WAR Games Con Winds Down

For the final game, Brent is on table 20.  Honky-slayer is winning games, because he's creeped up to table 5.  Brent just phoned in an order for another Red Bull and a Gatorade.  He must be waiting for the 5 hour drive home with me to explode.  Just my luck.  At least we're in his car.
This an earlier round, but in Game 7, Brent is playing amidst stucco-looking buildings for at least the third time.  Weird, because I would say the terrain has been good and fairly varied at this event.

I have been hungry like the wolf .  And I found him--




--playing another Space Wolf player.  Who was giving him tit for tat.  Very amusing: they both fit the description Brent gave me.  However, I could tell who was instigating the courtroom-like drama.  Every time the opponent of the "Uberjerk" declared anything, he paused and looked at the rules nazi to see if there would be an objection.   I am going to go ahead and downgrade the Uberjerk to "the Stickler."  I could even see him struggling to be a decent guy.  "That's ok, that's ok.  It's not a problem, no big deal."  But it seemed like he couldn't pass up any opportunity to pick at any nit.  But there were no judges babysitting the table, and the game progressed at an even pace anytime I was watching.  I'm sure I've come across as a rule nazi in some of my games, so I'm cutting him some slack.  Some people who played against him may disagree with me, but I think that if he was the worst this event had to offer, then this was a great event.




I overheard that lots of people were getting top marks in sportsmanship, and that the judges were going to have a hard time selecting Best Sportsman.  Brent thinks he has a shot at it, but I also overheard that someone (NotBrent) submitted an anonymous, written complaint against him, so we'll see.

I've got to say, there seems to be something for everyone here.  With 80 tables of 40k, 3 days of tournament play in the day and open gaming in the evenings, I imagine anyone of any skill level could have a good time.  40k played at 2000 points; Fantasy at 2250.  My wife and I are participating in a 7 month build up for next year's 'Ard Boyz.  I may actually opt to bring my finished Orc and Goblin army to WAR Games Con.  You prefer narrative games?  I saw nice, big, fluffy games with some of the coolest conversions and gigantic units.  I saw Apocalypse being played.  I saw something I didn't recognize, probably Flames of War.  Also some card and model games played on a poker table.  I saw really cool minis in the painting contest.  I had a great time, and I didn't play a single game.  Hell, I didn't even have time to crack the BRB I'm reading through right now.

I don't know how Brent did it though.  I did one two-day hobby event and I was wiped at the end of it.  Brent's been playing at a high level for three days straight while under a lot of outside stress: a net-(we hope it's just net)-stalker, his incipient madness waiting in the wings of his mind, and most recently, a seriously strained bladder.

No comments:

(A new favorite!) Anon: I haven’t even bothered playing a game of 6th yet, cause I have read the rules, and actually understand how they interact with units. I know my armies no longer function how they should, and so I need to change them.

Strictly Average: 'cause 6-inches is all you get.

Stalking Jawaballs since 2009.

Jawaballs: "My butt just tightened up."

Brent, preferred 2-to-1 over Not Brent in a recent, scientific poll.

Brent: emptied the Kool Aid and DRINKING YOUR MILKSHAKE with an extra-long straw.

Unicorns don't exist.

Home of the Stormbuster, the Dyson Pattern Storm Raven.

I'm a comment whore and this whore is getting no play.

Not Brent hurts Brent's feelings.

I think, therefore I blog.

"You should stop writing for everyone else and worry about your crappy blog." - Anon.

Not Brent has been spotted lurking around with a green marker.

He's not like a bad guy from a cartoon, all devious but never quite evil, Not Brent is bad beans, man, bad beans.

Dethtron: "Again I feel obliged to remind you that trying to sound smart only works if you are."

MVB: "I am not one to join the unwashed masses of self-titled 40k experts out there distributing advice from their blogs about exactly how your list should be built..."

Shiner Bock on tap: that's how I choose hotels.

Strictly Average: The Home of Hugs and Gropings.

Don't feed the trolls!

MoD: "Welcome to Brent's head."

Competitive is Consistent.

Dethtron: "...you could use that extra time to figure out a way to get your panties unbunched and perform a sandectomy on your vagina."

Dethtron: “When calling someone an idiot, it's generally best to avoid making grammatical mistakes.”

Warboss Stalin: "You know, if it actually WAS funny, maybe I wouldn't mind."

Mike Brandt: "It's not a successful bachelor party if you don't misplace someone".

"The Master Manipulator (every store needs one): "...now, enough stroking."

Kirby: "I don't know about gropings. Seriously, Brent, keep it in the pants, please."

Loquacious: "No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't get Hugs & Gropings or Stalks Jawaballs into Brent's little tribute."

Captain Kellen: "I rate this article a Brent on the Faith Hill to Nancy Pelosi scale!"

Drathmere: "Come for the balls, stay for the Brent? Kind of disturbing, man."

Go no further, lest thee see something thine eyes would fain look past!

Isabelle: "So, thank you for supporting your local and not so local unicorns. A noble gesture like that can show some scared kids out there that they don't have to hide from everyone and it's ok to be who they really are."

There is nothing more interesting than We The People... in all our beautiful, ugly glory!

On Internet Advice: You see, I have an almost religious belief that's it's a huge, colossal waste of time.

...I think I'll call it the Gun Shy Pattern Stormbuster, because after the Internet destroyed my first humble effort, I find I'm a bit worried about the reaction to this one.

Lauby: "Is it left over from that time you thought that you could just complete step one 12 times to meet the mandates of that court order?"

Not Brent: "I guess we'll have to read on and find out. Signed, Not Brent. Especially today."

Cynthia Davis: "I think the scrolling text is from Glen Beck's new book."

Grimaldi: "Spamming certain units creates interesting possibilities but also fatal weaknesses."

Purgatus: "Math can inform decisions. It cannot make decisions."

Thoughts? Comments? Hugs and gropings?

You'd be that much quicker to figure out what I mean when I refer to a Unicorn if I covered it in a rainbow flag.

SinSynn: (To Brent) "Curse you and your insidious influence on the internets..."

Dave G (N++): "You know you're an internet celebrity when your following is more akin to tabloids."

I prefer the term Internet Personality (or IP) myself, seeing as how I coined it.

Lauby: "Your attempt to humanize him as failed. I feel nothing but scorn for his beard - it's like a warcrime or something."

BBF: "I've always thought you are a good player but I finally figured out that you are a great player. It's hard to see sometimes because your personality is engaging, sincere and quite charming - to me that is kind of a rare combination."

'Clearly cheating?' I didn't misspeak: you jumped to conclusions. If you'd like to apologize I'll be happy to send you an autographed picture of my ass.

Ass.

I thought I was doing alright before I realized I was losing.

Age and treachery beats youth and vigor every time.

Popular Posts