3.23.2012

Necrons Generalist Review Part II

Picking up where we left off last time...


So my man Nick (his mother named him Darkwynn, but that's because he's a superhero in his spare time) isn't so fond of Necrons.  In the comments, he double-downed on his opinion:



As for Necrons shooting, I don't even think they do that well. I look at their line up and they are curved at a specific army type such as infantry with Tesla or low AV units. I think they could do all right against Marines in some fashion depending on the build. Other types of armies I think would destroy them, especially played by a good player. 
It also comes down to what they do not have an answer for right now... 

Here I had to edit out some stuff that just didn't make sense... I suspect he was typing from a cell phone or something.  (Or he was drunk.  What, too much?)

Grey Knights paladins.  They have no Str 8 Ap 2 shots that they can mass or scale out in three or four shots unless they forgive a lot of other options which gimps them.

Imagine that!  Having an opinion then... backing it up?  Doesn't he realize this is Ye Ol' Blogosphere?

(Opinions aren't allowed.  Except mine.  Ass.)

I wrote last time the Necrons are a shooting army, and primarily they are.  What's most interesting is just how effective the 'Crons close assault can be...


...in the form of Scarabs, Wraiths, and Lords / Destroyer Lords - and all of these perfectly costed, by the by.

I'm not including Lychguard 'cause I ain't sold on 'em, but there are players out there making good use of them as a counter-attack unit.  The point is there are a number of builds centered around one or more of these, making a close-assault Necron army backed up by effective shooting a very viable proposition indeed.

Case in point, the list I'm working sports a Farm and a unit of Wraiths with Whipcoils.  A Destroyer Lord hangs out with the Wraiths, giving them some extra punch on the charge.  The Troops are filled out with some beefy Warriors units and two five-strong Tesla Immortals, the latter being an incredible for points-concious players out there.

All that being said, what's wrong with the basic weaponry available in the Troops slots?  The standard Gauss weaponry work just fine for glancing vehicles, and oftentimes that's enough.  Tesla is nothing to sniff at; Carbines are the bomb and the Tesla Destructor - mounted on the Annihilation Barge - is simply awesome!

Who cares that it's 24-inches?  That's the army's honeyspot; stroke it gently.

(Bleed through!)

Er, not sure why I went a bit naughty, but let's try this comparision:  a Rifleman Dread is always worth the price, that is, normally around 125pts.  The Barge does it better, cheaper, coming in at 90pts.  So it trades range; the tesla special rule adds hits and Arc starts dropping lighting on any unit foolish enough not to sport rubber soles.

Okay, I get that most shooting armies can play a bit more at range, but Necrons are survivable and they have the above-mentioned units for counter-assault.  Also, let's not fail to make this 'deficit' a benefit; in two of three standard missions you're going to have to venture out from your deployment zone...


...24-inches is the range you need to play at.

(What about Paladins?)

Well, let's talk about Paladins.  Nick brought it up, after all.



Some people play them.  You may run into them.  Play the mission, destroy the Psyflemen, and don't allow your speed bump sacrificial units to allow a springboard into your deployment zone.  Wear them down, then determine if you can launch your assault elements.

Above all, play the mission!

* * * 

Not everyone dropped a critical review like my man Nick...

To be continued...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Another down side to the tesla destructor is the ap - wich gives you a -1 on the chart sucks you penetrate and only have a 6 to look forward to

Anonymous said...

what do you think of the doom scythe, their death ray is an auto hitting strength 10 ap 1 weapon with an average of 35 inch threat range with its 24 inch move and then 3d6 range on its weapon. As primarily a privateer press players taking dice rolls out of any miniatures game is worth its weight in gold and i think using 2 will wreck most parking lots or spammed paladins

Caldera said...

You can't move 24 and fire it's weapon. Unless it has a rule that specificly says otherwise.

(A new favorite!) Anon: I haven’t even bothered playing a game of 6th yet, cause I have read the rules, and actually understand how they interact with units. I know my armies no longer function how they should, and so I need to change them.

Strictly Average: 'cause 6-inches is all you get.

Stalking Jawaballs since 2009.

Jawaballs: "My butt just tightened up."

Brent, preferred 2-to-1 over Not Brent in a recent, scientific poll.

Brent: emptied the Kool Aid and DRINKING YOUR MILKSHAKE with an extra-long straw.

Unicorns don't exist.

Home of the Stormbuster, the Dyson Pattern Storm Raven.

I'm a comment whore and this whore is getting no play.

Not Brent hurts Brent's feelings.

I think, therefore I blog.

"You should stop writing for everyone else and worry about your crappy blog." - Anon.

Not Brent has been spotted lurking around with a green marker.

He's not like a bad guy from a cartoon, all devious but never quite evil, Not Brent is bad beans, man, bad beans.

Dethtron: "Again I feel obliged to remind you that trying to sound smart only works if you are."

MVB: "I am not one to join the unwashed masses of self-titled 40k experts out there distributing advice from their blogs about exactly how your list should be built..."

Shiner Bock on tap: that's how I choose hotels.

Strictly Average: The Home of Hugs and Gropings.

Don't feed the trolls!

MoD: "Welcome to Brent's head."

Competitive is Consistent.

Dethtron: "...you could use that extra time to figure out a way to get your panties unbunched and perform a sandectomy on your vagina."

Dethtron: “When calling someone an idiot, it's generally best to avoid making grammatical mistakes.”

Warboss Stalin: "You know, if it actually WAS funny, maybe I wouldn't mind."

Mike Brandt: "It's not a successful bachelor party if you don't misplace someone".

"The Master Manipulator (every store needs one): "...now, enough stroking."

Kirby: "I don't know about gropings. Seriously, Brent, keep it in the pants, please."

Loquacious: "No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't get Hugs & Gropings or Stalks Jawaballs into Brent's little tribute."

Captain Kellen: "I rate this article a Brent on the Faith Hill to Nancy Pelosi scale!"

Drathmere: "Come for the balls, stay for the Brent? Kind of disturbing, man."

Go no further, lest thee see something thine eyes would fain look past!

Isabelle: "So, thank you for supporting your local and not so local unicorns. A noble gesture like that can show some scared kids out there that they don't have to hide from everyone and it's ok to be who they really are."

There is nothing more interesting than We The People... in all our beautiful, ugly glory!

On Internet Advice: You see, I have an almost religious belief that's it's a huge, colossal waste of time.

...I think I'll call it the Gun Shy Pattern Stormbuster, because after the Internet destroyed my first humble effort, I find I'm a bit worried about the reaction to this one.

Lauby: "Is it left over from that time you thought that you could just complete step one 12 times to meet the mandates of that court order?"

Not Brent: "I guess we'll have to read on and find out. Signed, Not Brent. Especially today."

Cynthia Davis: "I think the scrolling text is from Glen Beck's new book."

Grimaldi: "Spamming certain units creates interesting possibilities but also fatal weaknesses."

Purgatus: "Math can inform decisions. It cannot make decisions."

Thoughts? Comments? Hugs and gropings?

You'd be that much quicker to figure out what I mean when I refer to a Unicorn if I covered it in a rainbow flag.

SinSynn: (To Brent) "Curse you and your insidious influence on the internets..."

Dave G (N++): "You know you're an internet celebrity when your following is more akin to tabloids."

I prefer the term Internet Personality (or IP) myself, seeing as how I coined it.

Lauby: "Your attempt to humanize him as failed. I feel nothing but scorn for his beard - it's like a warcrime or something."

BBF: "I've always thought you are a good player but I finally figured out that you are a great player. It's hard to see sometimes because your personality is engaging, sincere and quite charming - to me that is kind of a rare combination."

'Clearly cheating?' I didn't misspeak: you jumped to conclusions. If you'd like to apologize I'll be happy to send you an autographed picture of my ass.

Ass.

I thought I was doing alright before I realized I was losing.

Age and treachery beats youth and vigor every time.

Popular Posts