1.29.2011

Team Tournament: Game One (How Did Whit and I Do?)

Last week Everyone's Brother From Another Mother Big Whit and I teamed up to take on all comers at the Comic Asylum Team Tournament.  It was a three-round event with 750 points per player.

Let's take a look at Game One.

Right Flank.



We played Uncle Buck (Blood Angles) and Kenny (Tyranids), and these gents are starting a podcast called The Heroic 28's - check it out HERE and let them know what you think!

These dudes were an absolute pleasure to play.  Whit and I really enjoyed this game, and I learned a valuable lesson about Tyranids and their effectiveness against Daemons.

Left Flank.
 Here's the sour note.  The mission for this game was crazy stupid.  The idea was cool: we're fighting a battle beneath a Titan, so the idea is we're a small part of a larger battle.  Pieces are falling off the Titan and stray blasts are landing on the battle field... cool, right?

Unfortunately, the rules used to represent this were very unbalancing, and ultimately cost Whit and I seriously in the last, important turns of the game.

I've decided not to cover that in this report; rather, I think I'll talk about tournament scenarios in general in a post tomorrow.  I just don't want to sour what was a good game against great dudes!

Our enemy surges forward.

Our reinforcements arrive.

They threaten to overwhelm the left flank.


The Fiends on the left just arrived, so jumped in cover.  The Daemon Prince and the Fiends from the middle of the board multi-charge the Hormagaunts and Blood Angel Assault Squad.  The DP assassinates the Libby.

The right flank is somewhat quiet, though ultimately the Termagants surge forward, providing a tempting target for the Fiends.  It'll open up the entire side.

The left flank is held... so far!

When the Genestealers arrived, they were just out of reach of the Fiends in cover... frankly, I was disappointed.  The Blood Angels end up charging in and manage to dish out pain.  Th Genestealers e survive an incredible amount of firepower.  Too much, honestly.  This cost us.

I've learned to respect Feel No Pain with Tyranids!  The big bug kept the Termagants alive long past the point they should have died!

The Fiends assault up the right flank.  They're forced to respond.  They'll end up in control of the objective, but it cost them much to earn it.

The 'Stealers destroy the Rhino, then hide behind it.

They're bringing out resources to deal with the remains of the Fiends on the right flank; the lone Fiend in the center helps an Oblit kill the big bug.

Damn 'Stealers!  We unload... two survive.  

They own this objective...

...and we own this corner.  

We contest the middle, since the last two 'Gants are too foolish to die!  The 'Stealers managed to 1) move through cover, 2) roll a high run move, 3) assault far enough to hit the Fiend, 4) kill him, and 5) sweep close enough to contest our objective.  
 The Primary is a draw!  Big Whit and I earn a Minor Victory due to Kill Points.

4 comments:

Porky said...

Definitely a cool idea. An eventual collapse or reactor meltdown would only add to the fun. In a friendly game of course, you'd just tweak the rules on the fly to get them optimal.

Crazy Red Praetorian said...

Goatboy and I almost drove up for this tournament...but the goat needed his beauty sleep...I think he needs to get his priorities straight. Wonky missions, sometimes you reap the sweet fruit and sometimes you get the pitts.

OverCaffeinated said...

Yeah, the rules for round 1 were definitely wonky. On the second turn of the game every vehicle counted as shaken and all open terrain counted as difficult terrain. That led to everyone taking movement rolls and vehicles taking immobilize rolls rolling across open ground.....that one really wreaked havoc with my eldar.

Anonymous said...

lol, I effin love this


combined with the music from below link, I got put in the zone

http://www.l-room.net/product/movie/chirumiru.html

(A new favorite!) Anon: I haven’t even bothered playing a game of 6th yet, cause I have read the rules, and actually understand how they interact with units. I know my armies no longer function how they should, and so I need to change them.

Strictly Average: 'cause 6-inches is all you get.

Stalking Jawaballs since 2009.

Jawaballs: "My butt just tightened up."

Brent, preferred 2-to-1 over Not Brent in a recent, scientific poll.

Brent: emptied the Kool Aid and DRINKING YOUR MILKSHAKE with an extra-long straw.

Unicorns don't exist.

Home of the Stormbuster, the Dyson Pattern Storm Raven.

I'm a comment whore and this whore is getting no play.

Not Brent hurts Brent's feelings.

I think, therefore I blog.

"You should stop writing for everyone else and worry about your crappy blog." - Anon.

Not Brent has been spotted lurking around with a green marker.

He's not like a bad guy from a cartoon, all devious but never quite evil, Not Brent is bad beans, man, bad beans.

Dethtron: "Again I feel obliged to remind you that trying to sound smart only works if you are."

MVB: "I am not one to join the unwashed masses of self-titled 40k experts out there distributing advice from their blogs about exactly how your list should be built..."

Shiner Bock on tap: that's how I choose hotels.

Strictly Average: The Home of Hugs and Gropings.

Don't feed the trolls!

MoD: "Welcome to Brent's head."

Competitive is Consistent.

Dethtron: "...you could use that extra time to figure out a way to get your panties unbunched and perform a sandectomy on your vagina."

Dethtron: “When calling someone an idiot, it's generally best to avoid making grammatical mistakes.”

Warboss Stalin: "You know, if it actually WAS funny, maybe I wouldn't mind."

Mike Brandt: "It's not a successful bachelor party if you don't misplace someone".

"The Master Manipulator (every store needs one): "...now, enough stroking."

Kirby: "I don't know about gropings. Seriously, Brent, keep it in the pants, please."

Loquacious: "No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't get Hugs & Gropings or Stalks Jawaballs into Brent's little tribute."

Captain Kellen: "I rate this article a Brent on the Faith Hill to Nancy Pelosi scale!"

Drathmere: "Come for the balls, stay for the Brent? Kind of disturbing, man."

Go no further, lest thee see something thine eyes would fain look past!

Isabelle: "So, thank you for supporting your local and not so local unicorns. A noble gesture like that can show some scared kids out there that they don't have to hide from everyone and it's ok to be who they really are."

There is nothing more interesting than We The People... in all our beautiful, ugly glory!

On Internet Advice: You see, I have an almost religious belief that's it's a huge, colossal waste of time.

...I think I'll call it the Gun Shy Pattern Stormbuster, because after the Internet destroyed my first humble effort, I find I'm a bit worried about the reaction to this one.

Lauby: "Is it left over from that time you thought that you could just complete step one 12 times to meet the mandates of that court order?"

Not Brent: "I guess we'll have to read on and find out. Signed, Not Brent. Especially today."

Cynthia Davis: "I think the scrolling text is from Glen Beck's new book."

Grimaldi: "Spamming certain units creates interesting possibilities but also fatal weaknesses."

Purgatus: "Math can inform decisions. It cannot make decisions."

Thoughts? Comments? Hugs and gropings?

You'd be that much quicker to figure out what I mean when I refer to a Unicorn if I covered it in a rainbow flag.

SinSynn: (To Brent) "Curse you and your insidious influence on the internets..."

Dave G (N++): "You know you're an internet celebrity when your following is more akin to tabloids."

I prefer the term Internet Personality (or IP) myself, seeing as how I coined it.

Lauby: "Your attempt to humanize him as failed. I feel nothing but scorn for his beard - it's like a warcrime or something."

BBF: "I've always thought you are a good player but I finally figured out that you are a great player. It's hard to see sometimes because your personality is engaging, sincere and quite charming - to me that is kind of a rare combination."

'Clearly cheating?' I didn't misspeak: you jumped to conclusions. If you'd like to apologize I'll be happy to send you an autographed picture of my ass.

Ass.

I thought I was doing alright before I realized I was losing.

Age and treachery beats youth and vigor every time.

Popular Posts