1.09.2011

Menoth Versus... (Two Battle Reports)

Here's a brief rundown of the Warmachine games I played at the local store on Friday.  I managed to pull out a win in both, but this game isn't one where you can ever feel completely comfortable until it's over!

I won't overwhelm these games with excessive notes; frankly, I'm still learning the names of all my opponent's units and abilities!  If you've not played Mark II, the rules themselves are easy but they're modified by the numerous special abilities and spells each unit and Warcaster has available.  It's this aspect which gives the game its tactical depth - heck, even switching Warcasters can make the same army play in a completely different style... which is perhaps my favorite part of the game.

I welcome any experienced player's ideas and input.  In fact, I'll be disappointed if you don't!



Menoth Vs Skorne

Here's my deployment.

And Skorne advances.  Gauthic just purchased this army, so all he's done is basecoat it.  Knowing him, it'll be done next week.

This is what I've been experimenting with.  Everything is model on model - units matter, but you don't engage or kill a unit, you do so to a model.  Therefore I've been practicing spacing with the idea of controlling space and counterattacking my opponent.

In Warmachine, sometimes you just have to get stuck in.  Gauthic sees what I'm doing but goes for it anyway.  He's going to counter attack the unit(s) I'm counter attacking with!

In my play, my Knights charge...

...and kill the model.  Vilmon goes in to play speedbump... he has an ability which makes him immune to normal attacks.

Gauthic has a melee Warlock with magic weapons, meaning Vilmon doesn't slow him down much.  What worried me was the medium Warbeast had a reach weapon, so he charged in and started swinging at Feora!

I seem to be firmly in control, but that's misleading.  If I was a bit closer, the Skorne Warlock could have used his abilities to kill and advance, kill and advance, and making it to Feora!  He knows he'd be a bit short...

...so he repositions his elephant-thingy and gets stuck in.

I put it down, then try to block the Warlock from getting to Feora, who's stuck where she's at since she had to help kill the elephant... thingy.

Doh!  The Warlock uses his abilites to kill, advance, kill and advance again before finally gaining a full advance at the end.  I'm not sure that we did it properly, but regardless the inch advance the Warlock had put him just short of Feora, so he elected to get the hell out of Dodge.  He did enough damage to the Choir that it took a Command Check, which they failed.

It's moot.  Feora casts her buff and puts paid to the Warlock.

Warmachine!  

After my game, I take a break and watch the action.  Here we have Horde on Horde and Warmachine on Warmachine... the latter at 25 points.  We're getting there.

We have to be forgiven for the lack of painted armies.  We're only about a month in.

Menoth Vs Khador

Here I'm playing the Professor's Khador.  He's elected to play a small, very elite force with Sorcha at its head.  The heavy 'Jack is a stand-in for the Beast09, and the Khador infantry are going to shield wall up and play hard to get.

Sorcha's ability to freeze my army makes me vulnerable.  At the time, I wasn't aware that I could still draw and spend Focus to unfreeze Feora and the two 'Jacks, but regardless the Professor would still have a turn to kill my defenseless, frozen units.

Therefore I'm spreading out to minimize the damage.  I'll need to get close enough at some point to play Feora's Feat and set the infantry on fire.  It's my best chance of softening up the heavy infantry before the battle gets going proper.

For some reason, the Beast09 decides to go after my Knights.  I'm glad to see it, because that model could do an unreal amount of damage to anything he hits.  Let him play on the edge all he wants!  You'll see Vilmon plays speedbump again, where my general plan is to counterattack whatever goes after him.  I enjoy using Vilmon as an achor, though frankly a Paladin could probably do the same job for a point cheaper.  Moving forward though, I plan to have both!

I'm missing a picture.  In my round, Feora got close enough to set fire to the Khador line, doing damage to a goodly number of the models.  Sorcha popped her Feat, freezing almost my entire army!  The heavy infantry moved in and killed Vilmon (since he couldn't activate, he wasn't protected from their attacks) and attacked the Crusader.  It wasn't enough; the Crusader unfreezes and kills two models, while my light 'Jack and Feora strafe the remaining two, eventually killing them.  Sorcha is forced to spend Focus healing herself from fire damage.

I'd kept the Beast09 busy by feeding him Knights one at a time.  In my last turn, they couldn't quite reach Sorcha, who turns and pounds them in the dirt with weapon and spell.  The game ends and I'm up on points.

5 comments:

Loquacious said...

That second one looks as it could have gone the other way. It sounds like maybe Sorscha's not as broken as before, but tying her to Beast09 is just DUMB IMO. Sorcha's better with a flexible 'jack and Beast, while powerful, isn't.

Have you tried using Sevvy as a caster yet? you might like the Sev/Vilmon combo.

Gauthic said...

My list:
Morghul
Gladiator Titan
Savage Cyclops x2
Bloodrunner Master tormentor solo (which had a whole bunch of special rules I didn't have a chance to use)
Beasthandler unit of 4

I'll be playing my Cygnar for the build up as everyone's wanting to move to 25 points much sooner than I expected.

Snarfeh said...

Having Beast 09 bugger off to the side wasn't the best idea, should have kept him near, and used him to charge just after the feat. Even if he doesn't casters kill, he is in the enemy ranks, meaning he HAS to be feat with.
Against your speak out force, its best to stick together and punch one area hard, then turn to another if need be. It's too easy to be distracted by units on the flanks, that really don't pose any real threat.

Simon said...

Beast 09 wants to be killing 'casters, not playing with single wound infantry on a flank. I'd say you played this one perfectly, tying up his expensive, dangerous, and only 'jack with some cheap infantry.

Great looking force as well, the painting is very nice.

Simon

tzeentchling said...

Not bad! One thing to remember about pSorscha's feat is that she needs LOS. If your caster is hidden behind a hill or a jack, she can't be frozen.

As for the first game, I think you played it well. Using Vilmon and individual KE as speedbumps is a good idea. Remember that Vilmon can also use Stone and Mortar stance to become ARM 21, which is hard for a lot of things to get through. Morghoul probably still could have, but he would have had to spend fury boosting damage.

One thing to always keep in mind when playing against Hordes is how dependent their warlocks are on their beasts. With no beasts, they have no way of getting fury without cutting themselves, nor do they have anywhere to transfer damage to, making them very squishy. A good general strategy is to kill their beasts and play an attrition game!

(A new favorite!) Anon: I haven’t even bothered playing a game of 6th yet, cause I have read the rules, and actually understand how they interact with units. I know my armies no longer function how they should, and so I need to change them.

Strictly Average: 'cause 6-inches is all you get.

Stalking Jawaballs since 2009.

Jawaballs: "My butt just tightened up."

Brent, preferred 2-to-1 over Not Brent in a recent, scientific poll.

Brent: emptied the Kool Aid and DRINKING YOUR MILKSHAKE with an extra-long straw.

Unicorns don't exist.

Home of the Stormbuster, the Dyson Pattern Storm Raven.

I'm a comment whore and this whore is getting no play.

Not Brent hurts Brent's feelings.

I think, therefore I blog.

"You should stop writing for everyone else and worry about your crappy blog." - Anon.

Not Brent has been spotted lurking around with a green marker.

He's not like a bad guy from a cartoon, all devious but never quite evil, Not Brent is bad beans, man, bad beans.

Dethtron: "Again I feel obliged to remind you that trying to sound smart only works if you are."

MVB: "I am not one to join the unwashed masses of self-titled 40k experts out there distributing advice from their blogs about exactly how your list should be built..."

Shiner Bock on tap: that's how I choose hotels.

Strictly Average: The Home of Hugs and Gropings.

Don't feed the trolls!

MoD: "Welcome to Brent's head."

Competitive is Consistent.

Dethtron: "...you could use that extra time to figure out a way to get your panties unbunched and perform a sandectomy on your vagina."

Dethtron: “When calling someone an idiot, it's generally best to avoid making grammatical mistakes.”

Warboss Stalin: "You know, if it actually WAS funny, maybe I wouldn't mind."

Mike Brandt: "It's not a successful bachelor party if you don't misplace someone".

"The Master Manipulator (every store needs one): "...now, enough stroking."

Kirby: "I don't know about gropings. Seriously, Brent, keep it in the pants, please."

Loquacious: "No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't get Hugs & Gropings or Stalks Jawaballs into Brent's little tribute."

Captain Kellen: "I rate this article a Brent on the Faith Hill to Nancy Pelosi scale!"

Drathmere: "Come for the balls, stay for the Brent? Kind of disturbing, man."

Go no further, lest thee see something thine eyes would fain look past!

Isabelle: "So, thank you for supporting your local and not so local unicorns. A noble gesture like that can show some scared kids out there that they don't have to hide from everyone and it's ok to be who they really are."

There is nothing more interesting than We The People... in all our beautiful, ugly glory!

On Internet Advice: You see, I have an almost religious belief that's it's a huge, colossal waste of time.

...I think I'll call it the Gun Shy Pattern Stormbuster, because after the Internet destroyed my first humble effort, I find I'm a bit worried about the reaction to this one.

Lauby: "Is it left over from that time you thought that you could just complete step one 12 times to meet the mandates of that court order?"

Not Brent: "I guess we'll have to read on and find out. Signed, Not Brent. Especially today."

Cynthia Davis: "I think the scrolling text is from Glen Beck's new book."

Grimaldi: "Spamming certain units creates interesting possibilities but also fatal weaknesses."

Purgatus: "Math can inform decisions. It cannot make decisions."

Thoughts? Comments? Hugs and gropings?

You'd be that much quicker to figure out what I mean when I refer to a Unicorn if I covered it in a rainbow flag.

SinSynn: (To Brent) "Curse you and your insidious influence on the internets..."

Dave G (N++): "You know you're an internet celebrity when your following is more akin to tabloids."

I prefer the term Internet Personality (or IP) myself, seeing as how I coined it.

Lauby: "Your attempt to humanize him as failed. I feel nothing but scorn for his beard - it's like a warcrime or something."

BBF: "I've always thought you are a good player but I finally figured out that you are a great player. It's hard to see sometimes because your personality is engaging, sincere and quite charming - to me that is kind of a rare combination."

'Clearly cheating?' I didn't misspeak: you jumped to conclusions. If you'd like to apologize I'll be happy to send you an autographed picture of my ass.

Ass.

I thought I was doing alright before I realized I was losing.

Age and treachery beats youth and vigor every time.

Popular Posts