1.15.2011

Menoth Vs Legion (And... the New Face of Evil?)

I'm playing Sam-I-Am in a game of Warmachine/Hordes.  But, before we begin and without further ado...

Yes, he's making a face.  Evil is unapologetic.

is this the new face of evil?  Little Barrera, the Mighty Kibitzer.  He may well be!



Menoth Vs The Legion

I'm playing Amon Ad-Raza, Menoth's Jack'Caster.  I was also trying out my new model, the Covenant of Menoth.

In hindsight, I may have been better off with a Revenger instead of the Repenter and the Covenant, but who cares?  It's practice.

I used Amon's spell Mobility to hurl the 'Jacks forward.

I don't know all the names... how's this: the big flying thing used Slipstream to launch the big puppy into my Repenter.

His rolls suck pretty bad, and my 'Jack takes a few points of damage.
 I cast Mobility again; my Crusader turns and slams into the big puppy!  It hits the wall and collapses.

Since it's not on its feet, my Repenter moves forward unmolested and unleashes its flamethrower on three models, setting two of them on fire... but not the enemy Warlock.
 Sam-I-Am pokes his puppy onto its feet; its Animus allows it to move unmolested through my ranks.  It attacks the Covenant.  The Covenant can only take 1 point of damage per strike, maximum, so the damage is minimal.

The rest of his army attacks my Repenter, and though it has a few boxes left, both arms are torn off and its effectiveness is at an end.
 This is the key turn.  I strongly consider using Amon's Feat this turn but decide to wait one more round.  I use Mobility and Synergy to launch several effective assaults.  The Crusader, enhanced by the Choir and Synergy (2 strikes from the Revenger), hits the big flying thing with +4 then +5 damage.

That was the high point of my game, for sure.

Amon and the Revenger are holding the left flank nicely...


...as you can see here.

Amon uses Thresher to hit both the little, rabid attack thingie and the big dude in the middle.  The Revenger repulses another threat.

The key here is the Covenant: he's nice and close, so Lawgiver's Creed will work in the next turn, denying the Warlock his ability to cast spells.  More important, I thought my models were spread out enough so Sam-I-Am's big dog critter in the backfield wouldn't be able to get to Amon on an assassination run.
Turns out, I was wrong!  That's exactly what he did.

The picture to the right demonstrates where the Covenant should have been placed - as it was, he was too far forward and the big dog critter slipped between the Choir and the Covenant models and did away with Amon.

It was a close thing though; if he hadn't, Amon would have had a field day in the next turn!

...

Have I mentioned how much I'm loving Warmachine?

On another note, I got real sick at the store last night.  I couldn't figure out what was wrong - my muscles ached, and I was flushed and dizzy.  It was awful.  I finally drove home and bugged the crap out of my wife with all my complaining.

After a shot or two of medicine, I got to sleep and woke up feeling fine.

I mention it because I know the guys were worried.  I appreciate their concern, and it embarrasses me to admit it, but I think it was my body fighting off the flu.

Or rather, a dead flu.  I had a flu vaccine not too long ago for work, and while I've never had side effects I know it can happen.  It was first-rate awful, but frankly I'd rather feel bad for one evening than get the flu for a week or more!

Thanks guys - sorry to worry you over nothing.

4 comments:

tzeentchling said...

Flying thing - looks like an Angelius (maybe seraph - did it have an Armor Pierce attack or the ability to move with its animus?). Doggy thing = Raek. Definitely worth it to kill them first. Little rabid attack thingy - Shredder. You know the name of the caster he was using?

Also, it looks like you learned one of the principal lessons of warmachine - always pop your feat the turn before you think you need it!

Von said...

Flu vaccine? I hear dat. Had mine back in October and the side-effects ruined two days of my half term. I wouldn't mind if I hadn't developed a throat infection and lost my voice anyway...

Those little errors of placement are potentially huge, aren't they? Lost me a game the other night thanks to not keeping enough Revenants trailed back to limit an Ironclad's trample options.

tzeentchling said...

OK, looks like Vayl, a Seraph, a Raek, two Shredders, and a minimum unit of Warmongers (which are deadly against infantry, though you didn't really have any). Vayl's feat probably would have let the Raek get in better position anyway - she's quite tricky. If you hadn't left yourself open to assassination by it I think you would have won the game.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the battle report. I played a very similar game recently and was looking for a way to save my Menothian arse against Legion... unfortunately I don't think I've learned how to do that here.

In future, I'd suggest planning the battle report a bit better. The names of your opponent's units/models and abilities really helps, and I had a lot of trouble identifying "who was doing what" from the pictures. Beautifully painted models & decent terrain, but some more attention to detail could make these battle reports awesome.

Keep up the good work.

(A new favorite!) Anon: I haven’t even bothered playing a game of 6th yet, cause I have read the rules, and actually understand how they interact with units. I know my armies no longer function how they should, and so I need to change them.

Strictly Average: 'cause 6-inches is all you get.

Stalking Jawaballs since 2009.

Jawaballs: "My butt just tightened up."

Brent, preferred 2-to-1 over Not Brent in a recent, scientific poll.

Brent: emptied the Kool Aid and DRINKING YOUR MILKSHAKE with an extra-long straw.

Unicorns don't exist.

Home of the Stormbuster, the Dyson Pattern Storm Raven.

I'm a comment whore and this whore is getting no play.

Not Brent hurts Brent's feelings.

I think, therefore I blog.

"You should stop writing for everyone else and worry about your crappy blog." - Anon.

Not Brent has been spotted lurking around with a green marker.

He's not like a bad guy from a cartoon, all devious but never quite evil, Not Brent is bad beans, man, bad beans.

Dethtron: "Again I feel obliged to remind you that trying to sound smart only works if you are."

MVB: "I am not one to join the unwashed masses of self-titled 40k experts out there distributing advice from their blogs about exactly how your list should be built..."

Shiner Bock on tap: that's how I choose hotels.

Strictly Average: The Home of Hugs and Gropings.

Don't feed the trolls!

MoD: "Welcome to Brent's head."

Competitive is Consistent.

Dethtron: "...you could use that extra time to figure out a way to get your panties unbunched and perform a sandectomy on your vagina."

Dethtron: “When calling someone an idiot, it's generally best to avoid making grammatical mistakes.”

Warboss Stalin: "You know, if it actually WAS funny, maybe I wouldn't mind."

Mike Brandt: "It's not a successful bachelor party if you don't misplace someone".

"The Master Manipulator (every store needs one): "...now, enough stroking."

Kirby: "I don't know about gropings. Seriously, Brent, keep it in the pants, please."

Loquacious: "No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't get Hugs & Gropings or Stalks Jawaballs into Brent's little tribute."

Captain Kellen: "I rate this article a Brent on the Faith Hill to Nancy Pelosi scale!"

Drathmere: "Come for the balls, stay for the Brent? Kind of disturbing, man."

Go no further, lest thee see something thine eyes would fain look past!

Isabelle: "So, thank you for supporting your local and not so local unicorns. A noble gesture like that can show some scared kids out there that they don't have to hide from everyone and it's ok to be who they really are."

There is nothing more interesting than We The People... in all our beautiful, ugly glory!

On Internet Advice: You see, I have an almost religious belief that's it's a huge, colossal waste of time.

...I think I'll call it the Gun Shy Pattern Stormbuster, because after the Internet destroyed my first humble effort, I find I'm a bit worried about the reaction to this one.

Lauby: "Is it left over from that time you thought that you could just complete step one 12 times to meet the mandates of that court order?"

Not Brent: "I guess we'll have to read on and find out. Signed, Not Brent. Especially today."

Cynthia Davis: "I think the scrolling text is from Glen Beck's new book."

Grimaldi: "Spamming certain units creates interesting possibilities but also fatal weaknesses."

Purgatus: "Math can inform decisions. It cannot make decisions."

Thoughts? Comments? Hugs and gropings?

You'd be that much quicker to figure out what I mean when I refer to a Unicorn if I covered it in a rainbow flag.

SinSynn: (To Brent) "Curse you and your insidious influence on the internets..."

Dave G (N++): "You know you're an internet celebrity when your following is more akin to tabloids."

I prefer the term Internet Personality (or IP) myself, seeing as how I coined it.

Lauby: "Your attempt to humanize him as failed. I feel nothing but scorn for his beard - it's like a warcrime or something."

BBF: "I've always thought you are a good player but I finally figured out that you are a great player. It's hard to see sometimes because your personality is engaging, sincere and quite charming - to me that is kind of a rare combination."

'Clearly cheating?' I didn't misspeak: you jumped to conclusions. If you'd like to apologize I'll be happy to send you an autographed picture of my ass.

Ass.

I thought I was doing alright before I realized I was losing.

Age and treachery beats youth and vigor every time.

Popular Posts