12.02.2009

On Blogging

Bruce sent an email asking my thoughts on his recent post.  So I was replying when I realized the content was worth blogging about.  Read on!

I did like it and I do have some tips.  Blogging takes some getting used to; not so easy though, is it?  In general, I try to post every 3 days, and I always try to include a picture (even if it doesn't always relate).  I don't have the time for daily posting but I certainly don't want weeks to go by between posts.  Not every post is a winner; sometimes I've been convinced a post I've written will generate interest and I run back and forth all day to check the 'comments'... and nothing.  Other times, I've thrown something out and people seem to just respond.  There's no telling. 


Actually finding the discipline to post regularly isn't easy.  I've seen lots of blogs start strong only to fizzle out, and it's easy to understand why - there's only so much time in your life, so much content you can think up, so much time to sit and write... but I enjoy it.  Strictly Average is a smallish blog but you'd be surprised how many hits it gets, and by that I mean people that actually visit and read a post, not just bots.

Although 7 states don't actually visit... I wonder what it takes to get Wyoming to pay us a call?  Not that I worry about it; I'll take my 52 regular visitors from London any day.  But I digress.




Bruce, here are my thoughts on your post (Chaos and Space Wolves Dance):

1)  Before the report, document the army lists used.  It doesn't have to be much, nor do you have to include the points values or the unit's wargear, just a synopsis.

2)  You'll develop your own style as you do this, but for example I concentrate more on an overview of each turn plus the highlights.  I don't try to illustrate each shot unless I'm making a point.  This is a more stylistic thing; you'll develop your own groove in time, but don't kill yourself trying to document each detail.

3)  I bet he photos took awhile to upload, didn't they?  I usually cut them down a bit; I want them bigger when people click on them - 'cause that's why they do it, to get a closer look - but not so large they take up a ton of memory.  On the display, when you are creating the post, click the picture and make it 'large' then center it.  I find it looks better.

4)  I was asking myself some questions about your game with Mike, like what were the star units, what worked, what didn't, what would you change..?  That kind of thing.  The comments about reserving were useful information that could definitely been in the post.

I'll leave it at that.  Don't be afraid to experiment and find your own voice.  Practice makes perfect.

Brent

(The pictures, in case you're wondering, are from the dice cups Bruce designs and sells.)

10 comments:

Gauthic said...

No kidding. I'm still getting the hang of it. I mainly write for myself these days, whether someone else reads it or not is just icing on the cake.

I like to look back (like I did recently with my Orks) and think, wow that sure seems easy now, but it sure was a pain in the ass at the time.

Evil Homer said...

Any time I write a batrep for a forum or something I always include at conclusions and what did I learn section. Kind of an analysis my my game or the opponents or both so that I can take something away and hopefully someone else can too.

I would like to do batreps for our monthly build-up games, at least 1 a month. guess I will have to start bringing a camera too.

EH

Brent said...

I think that would be great Homer. I'm actually planning on trying video battle reports, a la Bell.

I really enjoy their format, where they pipe in video updates between rounds.

We'll have a ton of good material in the coming months.

Big Whit said...

Thanks for the tips I will work them in next time.

Jwolf said...

I absolutely hate doing battle reports. I'm never happy with the results, and either I sound like a mystic, a lucky bum, or a total jerk. Your style for batreps is already better than mine (at least to me).

And all of Brent's advice is good.

Gauthic said...

No no no... not all of his advice.... that's faaaar too broad of a comment to make such a generalization....

wow--we don't need an explosion of nuclear proportions over here in North Texas

ok crisis averted

hahaha ;)

Brent said...

Too late Gauthic!

I was lurking!

I heard!

HA!

Herr Fernseher said...

Hmmm. Is THAT what the metalic head avatar is for: to contain Brent's expanding head?

I have been irritated several times before when ignoring Brent's advice proved costly. To his further credit, I don't have a clear memory of him ever saying "I told you so" outright.

Herr Fernseher said...

Evil Homer: I look forward to seeing your batreps. If I've had a stunning game (win or lose), I won't play another one until I've learned everything I can from what I've just played. Since batreps don't (and shouldn't) have all the details, I think the player's insights are an important feature that is sometimes left out. Good luck with the reporting!

Herr Fernseher said...

Hey, Brent, don't all the good blogs have a "contact us" link? Am I just missing yours? ;)

(A new favorite!) Anon: I haven’t even bothered playing a game of 6th yet, cause I have read the rules, and actually understand how they interact with units. I know my armies no longer function how they should, and so I need to change them.

Strictly Average: 'cause 6-inches is all you get.

Stalking Jawaballs since 2009.

Jawaballs: "My butt just tightened up."

Brent, preferred 2-to-1 over Not Brent in a recent, scientific poll.

Brent: emptied the Kool Aid and DRINKING YOUR MILKSHAKE with an extra-long straw.

Unicorns don't exist.

Home of the Stormbuster, the Dyson Pattern Storm Raven.

I'm a comment whore and this whore is getting no play.

Not Brent hurts Brent's feelings.

I think, therefore I blog.

"You should stop writing for everyone else and worry about your crappy blog." - Anon.

Not Brent has been spotted lurking around with a green marker.

He's not like a bad guy from a cartoon, all devious but never quite evil, Not Brent is bad beans, man, bad beans.

Dethtron: "Again I feel obliged to remind you that trying to sound smart only works if you are."

MVB: "I am not one to join the unwashed masses of self-titled 40k experts out there distributing advice from their blogs about exactly how your list should be built..."

Shiner Bock on tap: that's how I choose hotels.

Strictly Average: The Home of Hugs and Gropings.

Don't feed the trolls!

MoD: "Welcome to Brent's head."

Competitive is Consistent.

Dethtron: "...you could use that extra time to figure out a way to get your panties unbunched and perform a sandectomy on your vagina."

Dethtron: “When calling someone an idiot, it's generally best to avoid making grammatical mistakes.”

Warboss Stalin: "You know, if it actually WAS funny, maybe I wouldn't mind."

Mike Brandt: "It's not a successful bachelor party if you don't misplace someone".

"The Master Manipulator (every store needs one): "...now, enough stroking."

Kirby: "I don't know about gropings. Seriously, Brent, keep it in the pants, please."

Loquacious: "No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't get Hugs & Gropings or Stalks Jawaballs into Brent's little tribute."

Captain Kellen: "I rate this article a Brent on the Faith Hill to Nancy Pelosi scale!"

Drathmere: "Come for the balls, stay for the Brent? Kind of disturbing, man."

Go no further, lest thee see something thine eyes would fain look past!

Isabelle: "So, thank you for supporting your local and not so local unicorns. A noble gesture like that can show some scared kids out there that they don't have to hide from everyone and it's ok to be who they really are."

There is nothing more interesting than We The People... in all our beautiful, ugly glory!

On Internet Advice: You see, I have an almost religious belief that's it's a huge, colossal waste of time.

...I think I'll call it the Gun Shy Pattern Stormbuster, because after the Internet destroyed my first humble effort, I find I'm a bit worried about the reaction to this one.

Lauby: "Is it left over from that time you thought that you could just complete step one 12 times to meet the mandates of that court order?"

Not Brent: "I guess we'll have to read on and find out. Signed, Not Brent. Especially today."

Cynthia Davis: "I think the scrolling text is from Glen Beck's new book."

Grimaldi: "Spamming certain units creates interesting possibilities but also fatal weaknesses."

Purgatus: "Math can inform decisions. It cannot make decisions."

Thoughts? Comments? Hugs and gropings?

You'd be that much quicker to figure out what I mean when I refer to a Unicorn if I covered it in a rainbow flag.

SinSynn: (To Brent) "Curse you and your insidious influence on the internets..."

Dave G (N++): "You know you're an internet celebrity when your following is more akin to tabloids."

I prefer the term Internet Personality (or IP) myself, seeing as how I coined it.

Lauby: "Your attempt to humanize him as failed. I feel nothing but scorn for his beard - it's like a warcrime or something."

BBF: "I've always thought you are a good player but I finally figured out that you are a great player. It's hard to see sometimes because your personality is engaging, sincere and quite charming - to me that is kind of a rare combination."

'Clearly cheating?' I didn't misspeak: you jumped to conclusions. If you'd like to apologize I'll be happy to send you an autographed picture of my ass.

Ass.

I thought I was doing alright before I realized I was losing.

Age and treachery beats youth and vigor every time.

Popular Posts