8.19.2009

Death of the Avatar... Updating an Army

Ah well, a 3+/4+ can't save an Avatar when you roll like that...
Regular readers of my blog (that is, of course, a misnomer; there are no readers of this blog...) will know I've been doing a lot of researching, list-building, and testing of my Eldar army for events past and upcoming. My list for BOLSCON is set, so I'm devoting zero skull-sweat to that: it will be what it will be - but Hard Boyz Round 3 in Chicago is looming, and it is very much on my mind.

So much so I've been bugging the crap out of my friends, emailing them, arguing with them - basically making a pest of myself. Here's a letter Evil Homer himself, follower of Nurgle and in cohoots with the Master Manipulator (every store needs one) himself, responding to my question about troop choices in general and jetbike squads in particular...

ok...really it depends on the mission of the bike squad, if they are in the list, simply to grab or contest objectives in the last turn, and they won't be active during the remainder of the game (generally) you mightbe able to do 5 man. If you want something more out of them then 5 will not cut it.

Wave serpents/Falcons will get popped. At 2500 poiints, in an anticipated heavy mech evironment and with the Meta being what it is, you have to plan on losing 4-5 of those serpents. Which ones go first depends on the opponent. some will see the fire dragons as a threat and move to neutralize them first, Others will look for a way to deny you the win first buy killing your troops. If he can kill or immobilize yours while preservintg 1 of his he has a chance at winning. Especially if he plays to sacrifice units to the seer council to achieve other objectives.

I really think that if all your looking for is objetive campers in vehicles then go with 10 man STORM guardian squads w/warlock carrying conceal and if the serpent gets popped then go to ground and hope to survive on the objective. Flamers help with hordes.

If you want the squad to be active in the game then roll with DA's.

for last minute grabbers then 5 man bike squad might cut it.

I think rolling with less than 4 troop choices is a mistake unless you think your army is going to be tabling guys.

I've been giving this some thought. I'd originally planned to stick 3 squads of 5 Avengers in a Falcon and use this as portable objective claimers. There are some downsides to this plan, some of which Homer points out in the Email above, but also the cost of the Falcon as I'd like to run it is 205; is that a good use of points, especially given the effectiveness of Fire Prisms for much cheaper? For these and other reasons, I'm considering adding Jetbike squads, thus the email I sent out. Regarding Homers other point, I don't think he realizes how difficult it can be to bring down Wave Serpents, much less Falcons/Prisms with Holofield, but that's not really the point, is it? I should plan to lose 5 just as a strategy; after all, good luck is easy to plan for but just how useful is it? I need a plan to win or draw when everything starts going south.

Okay, it's not like I don't already do this. I've got a lot of experience playing this game and it generally serves me well. But I do have a tendancy to buck convention, or play inferior choices to throw people off, but all that pales in comparison with my biggest weakness as a player: my constant need for change. Many times I've bombed a tournament by making last minute changes to my list; speaking from experience, that's never good.

Evil Homer is a tough player. His strengths are planning and consistency - you can see this in his choice of tournament army.

He's not the only dude whose input I've sought, and I appreciate the time people have taken, both on the net and IRL, answering questions and all-around putting up with me. I've been accused to not listening, but ultimately I've got to filter all the ideas and incorporate it with my playing style.

All that said, my list has already changed significantly - and one of those changes prompted the title of this post. My new need for mobility has caused me to drop my Avatar from my final list.

Eldrad will miss babysitting him.

5 comments:

Bruce said...

Yes, finally I won't have to deal with the Avatard! I will mark this day on the calender, as the greatest day of my life. I would like to take this opportunity to thank all of my Salamanders that had to die at the hands of the avatar, in order to give me experience points. I would like to thank my land raider, who tried tank shock only to be killed. I would also like to thank the 6 termies that got out and killed the Avatar for the first time. I would like to give a special thanks to Sgt Telion and snipers who got a first round kill on the Avatar. I still think that you should take him because most list that I saw would have had a hard time dealing with him. I know that the only reasons I now have snipers is because I needed to take out multi wound creatures, and I have the Avatar to thank for that. Most of those mec list out there can easily have their armor riped open with a m.c., but it's up to you to decide what's best for your army

Brent said...

HA! Funny stuff...

Wait till you see what I replace him with...

Brent

Bruce said...

I tried something new tonight against Carlos, and it did pretty good. I'm feeling confident with my army. I can't wait until I get the rest of my new unit in the mail, and test out 2500pts.

Anonymous said...

Sigh. I remember when I had to let the Avatar go...

BTW, I hate the Avenger/Falcon combo, but what else are you going to do? 60pts is not too expensive an upgrade to make your fast tank a scoring unit. I guess I just don't like not using the Avengers. Also, the only thing I really like about the Falcon is its indestructibility (and I guess it's transport capability). But a pair of prisms is sooo much more effective at popping tanks. Is a third just backup/redundancy?

Your lists that I've been seeing look tailored to kill tanks. Which means your offense will be defended wave serpents to an extent, but not necessarily defending jetbikes. Does that make sense? Sorry to go off halfcocked...guess I need to get back to my homework

Anonymous said...

Quick question about your fast Eldar: What do you think about putting everything in reserve as a deployment tactic? You're so fast, that it is likely to hurt your opponent more than you, and it will also help out your slow play issue in tournaments. I'm sure this has been analyzed to death elsewhere, but I'm curious what your take is, since you're working on a list that could use this stategy--I think.

(A new favorite!) Anon: I haven’t even bothered playing a game of 6th yet, cause I have read the rules, and actually understand how they interact with units. I know my armies no longer function how they should, and so I need to change them.

Strictly Average: 'cause 6-inches is all you get.

Stalking Jawaballs since 2009.

Jawaballs: "My butt just tightened up."

Brent, preferred 2-to-1 over Not Brent in a recent, scientific poll.

Brent: emptied the Kool Aid and DRINKING YOUR MILKSHAKE with an extra-long straw.

Unicorns don't exist.

Home of the Stormbuster, the Dyson Pattern Storm Raven.

I'm a comment whore and this whore is getting no play.

Not Brent hurts Brent's feelings.

I think, therefore I blog.

"You should stop writing for everyone else and worry about your crappy blog." - Anon.

Not Brent has been spotted lurking around with a green marker.

He's not like a bad guy from a cartoon, all devious but never quite evil, Not Brent is bad beans, man, bad beans.

Dethtron: "Again I feel obliged to remind you that trying to sound smart only works if you are."

MVB: "I am not one to join the unwashed masses of self-titled 40k experts out there distributing advice from their blogs about exactly how your list should be built..."

Shiner Bock on tap: that's how I choose hotels.

Strictly Average: The Home of Hugs and Gropings.

Don't feed the trolls!

MoD: "Welcome to Brent's head."

Competitive is Consistent.

Dethtron: "...you could use that extra time to figure out a way to get your panties unbunched and perform a sandectomy on your vagina."

Dethtron: “When calling someone an idiot, it's generally best to avoid making grammatical mistakes.”

Warboss Stalin: "You know, if it actually WAS funny, maybe I wouldn't mind."

Mike Brandt: "It's not a successful bachelor party if you don't misplace someone".

"The Master Manipulator (every store needs one): "...now, enough stroking."

Kirby: "I don't know about gropings. Seriously, Brent, keep it in the pants, please."

Loquacious: "No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't get Hugs & Gropings or Stalks Jawaballs into Brent's little tribute."

Captain Kellen: "I rate this article a Brent on the Faith Hill to Nancy Pelosi scale!"

Drathmere: "Come for the balls, stay for the Brent? Kind of disturbing, man."

Go no further, lest thee see something thine eyes would fain look past!

Isabelle: "So, thank you for supporting your local and not so local unicorns. A noble gesture like that can show some scared kids out there that they don't have to hide from everyone and it's ok to be who they really are."

There is nothing more interesting than We The People... in all our beautiful, ugly glory!

On Internet Advice: You see, I have an almost religious belief that's it's a huge, colossal waste of time.

...I think I'll call it the Gun Shy Pattern Stormbuster, because after the Internet destroyed my first humble effort, I find I'm a bit worried about the reaction to this one.

Lauby: "Is it left over from that time you thought that you could just complete step one 12 times to meet the mandates of that court order?"

Not Brent: "I guess we'll have to read on and find out. Signed, Not Brent. Especially today."

Cynthia Davis: "I think the scrolling text is from Glen Beck's new book."

Grimaldi: "Spamming certain units creates interesting possibilities but also fatal weaknesses."

Purgatus: "Math can inform decisions. It cannot make decisions."

Thoughts? Comments? Hugs and gropings?

You'd be that much quicker to figure out what I mean when I refer to a Unicorn if I covered it in a rainbow flag.

SinSynn: (To Brent) "Curse you and your insidious influence on the internets..."

Dave G (N++): "You know you're an internet celebrity when your following is more akin to tabloids."

I prefer the term Internet Personality (or IP) myself, seeing as how I coined it.

Lauby: "Your attempt to humanize him as failed. I feel nothing but scorn for his beard - it's like a warcrime or something."

BBF: "I've always thought you are a good player but I finally figured out that you are a great player. It's hard to see sometimes because your personality is engaging, sincere and quite charming - to me that is kind of a rare combination."

'Clearly cheating?' I didn't misspeak: you jumped to conclusions. If you'd like to apologize I'll be happy to send you an autographed picture of my ass.

Ass.

I thought I was doing alright before I realized I was losing.

Age and treachery beats youth and vigor every time.

Popular Posts