9.02.2013

A Little Local Tournament...

I played this past weekend in a small tournament at my FLGS, Galaxy Books and Comics.  Little Barrera ran it using some battle missions he pulled from the internet.  I'm on record as saying I'd like to see less complexity in tournament missions, since 6th Edition and the glorious number of new Codices and products adds dimension enough.



But what the hell, right?  I paid my ten bucks to play some games and hang out with friends, much the same as we always do!


Game One was against Daniel (guys with names starting with the letter 'D' don't get nicknames on this blog... that's my evil influence it is), who brought a Tau / Guard gunline.  The Tau portion of his army is looking tres bien, and my understanding is he has a secret Samoan painter working on it for him.

He doesn't need the Guard, be he said he doesn't have enough models for a Tau-only yet.  He made sure to pack in the important stuff first!


I brought The Brotherhood, my rogue chapter counts-as army.  Usually I play them as Space Wolves, but yeah, I intend for them to be able to sit in for Chaos Space Marines if I want.

There, I admit it!  It's not like it was that much of a secret...


...as these were the original test models for the army.


Anyway, I thought this was the first time I'd played Tau, but today I remembered I played The Hoff's Tau a few months ago.  I made the same mistake then as I made Saturday, concentrating way too much ineffectual firepower on the Riptides.

At the very end, I failed to keep his Riptide stuck in combat and he jumped over for a perfect shot on my very last Troop model, which was holding the objective.  (There were five, so he was 20%.)  With that, Daniel won the Primary - objectives - and the secondary - Kill Points, blowing me out of the water by game's end.  I won the tertiary, which was declaring in advance how many Kill Points I would earn without going over.  I said five...

...so ironically, in the latter third of the game I was avoiding killing units!  I had killed 5, so I needed to hold the Riptide in place and try to win by taking the primary and tertiary.

Ah well.  This was a really challenging game.  The Tau's firepower is every bit as good as everybody already knows, but my path to victory, hindsight being 20/20, was to ignore the Riptides and frag Fire Warriors into oblivion.  I also really missed the Lone Wolves, which could have made a very nice counter-attacking model to keep the Riptides from kicking me around.

All in all, it was a really fun game, by far the best I've had against Daniel.  He's been playing and practicing with this army and it shows.  His target priority and focus on the objectives was darn near perfect.


I was playing Farseer Tim next.  As he said, "It's 1pm on Saturday, time to play."  Meaning, if you haven't guessed, we usually play on Saturdays after lunch.  He's my most frequent opponent of late, a canny veteran player who's happy to finally have rules for his beloved Iyanden army.



See that building on the left, right in front of my Razorback?  It has an enclosed room.  The mission stated the objectives have to be placed in the 'No-Man's Land' section of the board.  I'd set up intending to place mine right in that room.

Naturally, Tim drove me nuts by placing his first, on the other side!  Since he has a small, elite army, he was going to have to come to me anyway, so he just played to his strengths.  I placed my objective marker on the far right, trying to split his force.  He has three units of Wraithguard, one each with shooting, templates, and melee options.  His Warlord was his Wraith Knight.


See this?  His flyer came in and deprived my Quad Gun of a target... unless I wanted to shoot the Card Pimp in Question anyway.

Trust me, there is an Eldar flyer behind that piece of terrain.  See what I said about how canny Tim is?


So, the entire reason I took Space Wolves this weekend was as an attempt to break the meta.  I had a Librarian to shut down the psychic phase half the time (broken) and he stuck with his book powers, Living Lightning and Jaws of the World Wolf (very broken).  Woot!

Still, I know I should stick with an army.  My biggest flaw as a tournament player has always been jumping from army to army, which the Master Manipulator (every store needs one) and Evil Homer pretty much broke me from back when I started playing Daemons last edition.

I know better, but this year I just haven't been inspired.  Daemons are my favorite army, and I have everything I need to use any evil option in the book.  Eldar were a favorite army, but I'm a bit uninspired by the newest book - not because I don't recognize the potential.  In fact, I think they're perfectly suited to my style of play.

This year, I just haven't cared much.  I've talked about that a bit in the Terrible Tuesday articles, but suffice it to say I skipped the tournament season this year, after three years of three Indy events.  It's not burnout so much as a break.

Reread the first paragraph if you care to know why!


Ah, yes - I got both my units of Wolf Scouts with plasma and guns and plasma and knives and plasma and chains.  And plasma!


Broken toy.  :)


And we're back to Jaws and firepower from one unit.  The three Grey Hunters might have gotten lucky and killed the last Wraith Blade with the Melta Gun, but that was all the firepower I could afford to spend.  As it was, we ended up in a protracted combat.


Vector Dancer is unreal-cool.

Technically I think I won but realistically it was a draw.  Here, I earned points by getting the two Scout units into his deployment zone.

Let me add this:  this game is an example of why I'm not a fan of Battle Points in 6th edition.  Tim and I are veteran players, so we're bound to bloody one another, barring luck or a mismatch in missions.  Meaning usually points will be split or unearned.

How is a close-fought game worse than a bad matchup wherein on player massacres another?  The latter game will earn a bunch of points while the former - arguably a 'better' game - earns bunkus?

The first game was perhaps an example of the system working, where Daniel earned all the points by playing a hard fought game but wrapping it up by the end... not to confuse my argument or anything.

Ah, well!

Game Three was great.  I played the Master Manipulator (every store needs one) in a Hoffman Gambit.  Meaning we declared it a draw and went out for beers.

Shiner Bock just makes everything okay!

1 comment:

Krisken said...

Draw for beer is always a win. Great to see someone able to get some games in :)

(A new favorite!) Anon: I haven’t even bothered playing a game of 6th yet, cause I have read the rules, and actually understand how they interact with units. I know my armies no longer function how they should, and so I need to change them.

Strictly Average: 'cause 6-inches is all you get.

Stalking Jawaballs since 2009.

Jawaballs: "My butt just tightened up."

Brent, preferred 2-to-1 over Not Brent in a recent, scientific poll.

Brent: emptied the Kool Aid and DRINKING YOUR MILKSHAKE with an extra-long straw.

Unicorns don't exist.

Home of the Stormbuster, the Dyson Pattern Storm Raven.

I'm a comment whore and this whore is getting no play.

Not Brent hurts Brent's feelings.

I think, therefore I blog.

"You should stop writing for everyone else and worry about your crappy blog." - Anon.

Not Brent has been spotted lurking around with a green marker.

He's not like a bad guy from a cartoon, all devious but never quite evil, Not Brent is bad beans, man, bad beans.

Dethtron: "Again I feel obliged to remind you that trying to sound smart only works if you are."

MVB: "I am not one to join the unwashed masses of self-titled 40k experts out there distributing advice from their blogs about exactly how your list should be built..."

Shiner Bock on tap: that's how I choose hotels.

Strictly Average: The Home of Hugs and Gropings.

Don't feed the trolls!

MoD: "Welcome to Brent's head."

Competitive is Consistent.

Dethtron: "...you could use that extra time to figure out a way to get your panties unbunched and perform a sandectomy on your vagina."

Dethtron: “When calling someone an idiot, it's generally best to avoid making grammatical mistakes.”

Warboss Stalin: "You know, if it actually WAS funny, maybe I wouldn't mind."

Mike Brandt: "It's not a successful bachelor party if you don't misplace someone".

"The Master Manipulator (every store needs one): "...now, enough stroking."

Kirby: "I don't know about gropings. Seriously, Brent, keep it in the pants, please."

Loquacious: "No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't get Hugs & Gropings or Stalks Jawaballs into Brent's little tribute."

Captain Kellen: "I rate this article a Brent on the Faith Hill to Nancy Pelosi scale!"

Drathmere: "Come for the balls, stay for the Brent? Kind of disturbing, man."

Go no further, lest thee see something thine eyes would fain look past!

Isabelle: "So, thank you for supporting your local and not so local unicorns. A noble gesture like that can show some scared kids out there that they don't have to hide from everyone and it's ok to be who they really are."

There is nothing more interesting than We The People... in all our beautiful, ugly glory!

On Internet Advice: You see, I have an almost religious belief that's it's a huge, colossal waste of time.

...I think I'll call it the Gun Shy Pattern Stormbuster, because after the Internet destroyed my first humble effort, I find I'm a bit worried about the reaction to this one.

Lauby: "Is it left over from that time you thought that you could just complete step one 12 times to meet the mandates of that court order?"

Not Brent: "I guess we'll have to read on and find out. Signed, Not Brent. Especially today."

Cynthia Davis: "I think the scrolling text is from Glen Beck's new book."

Grimaldi: "Spamming certain units creates interesting possibilities but also fatal weaknesses."

Purgatus: "Math can inform decisions. It cannot make decisions."

Thoughts? Comments? Hugs and gropings?

You'd be that much quicker to figure out what I mean when I refer to a Unicorn if I covered it in a rainbow flag.

SinSynn: (To Brent) "Curse you and your insidious influence on the internets..."

Dave G (N++): "You know you're an internet celebrity when your following is more akin to tabloids."

I prefer the term Internet Personality (or IP) myself, seeing as how I coined it.

Lauby: "Your attempt to humanize him as failed. I feel nothing but scorn for his beard - it's like a warcrime or something."

BBF: "I've always thought you are a good player but I finally figured out that you are a great player. It's hard to see sometimes because your personality is engaging, sincere and quite charming - to me that is kind of a rare combination."

'Clearly cheating?' I didn't misspeak: you jumped to conclusions. If you'd like to apologize I'll be happy to send you an autographed picture of my ass.

Ass.

I thought I was doing alright before I realized I was losing.

Age and treachery beats youth and vigor every time.

Popular Posts