11.06.2011

Feast of Blades: Game 1

Here's Game 1 of the Feast of Blades Invitational.  I won the option of going first... but I would have been better off losing it!

Note: the link is for the UStream - check it out today!

I think I've learned something about my game that needs fixing; when I'm reacting to someone, my game is top notch... not so much the other way around.  If the Tau had set up first, I would have set up my army in response to what I was seeing.  Since I was setting up first, something in my mind completely ignored his army, and what he would do in response to me.

(Wasn't much of a deficit when you were playing Daemons all the time, huh?)


As you can see from this picture, it isn't exactly rocket science.  My opponent was a strong player, so he didn't miss the obvious.  Refused flank, away from Logan's (Hogan!) squad... effectively neutralizing a significant chuck of my army.  Later, you'll also see I didn't pay much attention to the Kroot.  I assumed they'd come on piecemeal; yea, I know what you're thinking, too.

(Now.)



Right flank.

Center.  (Note: my Long Fangs should have set up here, with a perfect angle to either side of the board.  And I would have centralized Hogan.  This was optimal.)

Right flank.  Hogan's boy.  Note something here thought that affected this game; these hills were meant to provide area terrain unless you were on the same level.  The way it was written in the rules packet caused confusion to a number of folks.

His setup.  Note his two HQs are attached one each to a Broadside squad - something I've never actually seen done before.  With all the multi-trackers, it worked out well.  

There was one problem with my game I couldn't have predicted: Line of Sight, and how people in this tournament played it.  We're fairly tight about it at home, I've learned.  At this event, I played multiple people with a, "Well, sure I can see!" approach.  For example, my opponent and I had a couple of short conversations about drawing line of sight from his back units through his intervening models, which in many cases I'm sure he couldn't do.

He was sincere in his explanations, so I figured it was a regional thing or something, and I think I was right - again, I ran into this later with the other Tau player I played (yea) and he called a judge over to make the clarification.

There's no way to know that kind of stuff in advance - you just have to be aware that as long as everyone is consistent, you should be okay.

Moving forward, with smoke.  In hindsight, if I was going to have two tanks charging the line, I should have had four.

Hogan's squad goes all relentless, but I rolled a 2 for difficult terrain and a 1 for the run move.  *sigh*  It wasn't much better the next turn!

Crap.  Forgot all about Markerlights.  Strip this cover, strip that cover.  BOOM!

Yup, still there.

It's blurry 'cause of the tears!

Still pushing.

Kroot.  Both squads came in at the same time on the same side!

Nope.  Not much gone, really.

Hogan and his boys finally break free of the terrain.  I blast apart most of the Kroot, but enough are left to win my opponent the game...

...by tying me up and grabbing this objective.

My scouts came on.  No, they're not there.  I did have a bit of bad luck, where 5 Plasma shots didn't put away 4 Fire Warriors, allowing me the charge I needed!

I forgot to move this tank in the last turn.  There's a chance I could have contested an objective.  Not a GOOD chance!

Yup, still walking.

Those two Kroot won him the game.

There's the shot I'm talking about... but let's be honest, it wouldn't have survived!  Still, I wish I didn't forget, because I hate leaving stuff undone.

It was 25 to 22, since there were three differing objectives of which I won one and tied another.  We both got a lot of bonus points, too.

Bottom line, great game, great opponent!

But I made the same mistakes in Game 2...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

1. Where are the green squares for destroyed vehicles from?
2. What was the details on the LOS argument?

(A new favorite!) Anon: I haven’t even bothered playing a game of 6th yet, cause I have read the rules, and actually understand how they interact with units. I know my armies no longer function how they should, and so I need to change them.

Strictly Average: 'cause 6-inches is all you get.

Stalking Jawaballs since 2009.

Jawaballs: "My butt just tightened up."

Brent, preferred 2-to-1 over Not Brent in a recent, scientific poll.

Brent: emptied the Kool Aid and DRINKING YOUR MILKSHAKE with an extra-long straw.

Unicorns don't exist.

Home of the Stormbuster, the Dyson Pattern Storm Raven.

I'm a comment whore and this whore is getting no play.

Not Brent hurts Brent's feelings.

I think, therefore I blog.

"You should stop writing for everyone else and worry about your crappy blog." - Anon.

Not Brent has been spotted lurking around with a green marker.

He's not like a bad guy from a cartoon, all devious but never quite evil, Not Brent is bad beans, man, bad beans.

Dethtron: "Again I feel obliged to remind you that trying to sound smart only works if you are."

MVB: "I am not one to join the unwashed masses of self-titled 40k experts out there distributing advice from their blogs about exactly how your list should be built..."

Shiner Bock on tap: that's how I choose hotels.

Strictly Average: The Home of Hugs and Gropings.

Don't feed the trolls!

MoD: "Welcome to Brent's head."

Competitive is Consistent.

Dethtron: "...you could use that extra time to figure out a way to get your panties unbunched and perform a sandectomy on your vagina."

Dethtron: “When calling someone an idiot, it's generally best to avoid making grammatical mistakes.”

Warboss Stalin: "You know, if it actually WAS funny, maybe I wouldn't mind."

Mike Brandt: "It's not a successful bachelor party if you don't misplace someone".

"The Master Manipulator (every store needs one): "...now, enough stroking."

Kirby: "I don't know about gropings. Seriously, Brent, keep it in the pants, please."

Loquacious: "No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't get Hugs & Gropings or Stalks Jawaballs into Brent's little tribute."

Captain Kellen: "I rate this article a Brent on the Faith Hill to Nancy Pelosi scale!"

Drathmere: "Come for the balls, stay for the Brent? Kind of disturbing, man."

Go no further, lest thee see something thine eyes would fain look past!

Isabelle: "So, thank you for supporting your local and not so local unicorns. A noble gesture like that can show some scared kids out there that they don't have to hide from everyone and it's ok to be who they really are."

There is nothing more interesting than We The People... in all our beautiful, ugly glory!

On Internet Advice: You see, I have an almost religious belief that's it's a huge, colossal waste of time.

...I think I'll call it the Gun Shy Pattern Stormbuster, because after the Internet destroyed my first humble effort, I find I'm a bit worried about the reaction to this one.

Lauby: "Is it left over from that time you thought that you could just complete step one 12 times to meet the mandates of that court order?"

Not Brent: "I guess we'll have to read on and find out. Signed, Not Brent. Especially today."

Cynthia Davis: "I think the scrolling text is from Glen Beck's new book."

Grimaldi: "Spamming certain units creates interesting possibilities but also fatal weaknesses."

Purgatus: "Math can inform decisions. It cannot make decisions."

Thoughts? Comments? Hugs and gropings?

You'd be that much quicker to figure out what I mean when I refer to a Unicorn if I covered it in a rainbow flag.

SinSynn: (To Brent) "Curse you and your insidious influence on the internets..."

Dave G (N++): "You know you're an internet celebrity when your following is more akin to tabloids."

I prefer the term Internet Personality (or IP) myself, seeing as how I coined it.

Lauby: "Your attempt to humanize him as failed. I feel nothing but scorn for his beard - it's like a warcrime or something."

BBF: "I've always thought you are a good player but I finally figured out that you are a great player. It's hard to see sometimes because your personality is engaging, sincere and quite charming - to me that is kind of a rare combination."

'Clearly cheating?' I didn't misspeak: you jumped to conclusions. If you'd like to apologize I'll be happy to send you an autographed picture of my ass.

Ass.

I thought I was doing alright before I realized I was losing.

Age and treachery beats youth and vigor every time.

Popular Posts